Bucket list and feeling blessed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bucket list and feeling blessed

Ok so it is clear that in my old age I am losing my cynical, pessimistic edge. I've been thinking about creating and starting to check off my bucket list. I didn't have too many inspiring things in mind so I thought I would google it and see what others are doing.

Imagine my surprise to start noting many things on other people's bucket lists that I have already done. Not that most of them are all that spectacular but it was interesting to reflect on them. Although I have always felt like my life was very interesting albeit difficult I actually am feeling good to think that I have done so much. I'm only at page 20 of the website's 1,000 pages but I think this might be a mood booster I will continue working on.

These aren't things MS can steal from us! We have already done them. What about you?

Things I have done that were on other people’s bucket list:
    1. Own a business
    2. Save three months salary
    3. Go to Florida
    4. Visit Universal Studios
    5. Go camping
    6. Road trip across America
    7. Fly first class
    8. Sleep under the stars
    9. Go skinny dipping
    10. Go to college
    11. Graduate college
    12. Go to NYC
    13. Get married
    14. Get a job that I love
    15. Get my driver’s license
    16. Run a marathon (ok so it was only a 5k but still one of the best days of my life)
    17. Be a movie extra
    18. Visit California
    19. Be kissed by a total stranger
    20. Visit Washington DC
    21. Buy a house
    22. Pay off my house
    23. Swim in the Atlantic Ocean
    24. Ride a horse
    25. Shoot a gun
    26. Go to a concert
    27. Walk every day
    28. Sit on the beach at night
    29. Do something brave
    30. Go see a play
    31. Travel by train
    32. Go ice skating
    33. Draw/paint a picture and frame it
    34. Read a biography
    35. Plant a tree
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

I have a BL too. I was halfway through and I thought that was fitting because I was halfway through my life. Some that I crossed off I thought I'd never do, like win a full scholarship or make $84 K a year (I was making 7.50 an hour when I wrote that one down with an unmarketable degree) or kiss the person I'd secretly been in love with for close to twenty years.

Others seemed equally hard but considering my progress and fortune I figured it was when and not if. Now, every single one of them seems like MS could keep them unchecked for good. Get a degree in biology. Have a child as a single parent. Cast a sculpture in bronze. Live to 90. Move back to FL and get a little house by the ocean. Maybe I should make a new one. Get to the grocery store when needed. Don't pee more than four times a night. Meh.

Comment

Well, Jules A, I'm a'feared doing most of the things on your list requires the ability to walk over rough terrain. Or even smooth terrain. Some, happily, are "been there, done that". Just as well, really.

Oh death where is thy sting, oh grave thy victory...

Comment

Everyone needs a Bucket List! And when you complete it, make another. It keeps you going.
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
          Well, Jules A, I'm a'feared doing most of the things on your list requires the ability to walk over rough terrain. Or even smooth terrain. Some, happily, are "been there, done that". Just as well, really.

Oh death where is thy sting, oh grave thy victory...
          But that is the beauty of the "things I've already done on other people's bucket lists" list!

To me reflecting back on the things I have accomplished already, most of course long before MS came a knockin, makes me feel less angry about the things MS is taking from me now and will take from me in the future.

Wow this kind of sounds like "the glass is half full" which again isn't me at all.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by dyin_myelin View Post
            I have a BL too. I was halfway through and I thought that was fitting because I was halfway through my life. Some that I crossed off I thought I'd never do, like win a full scholarship or make $84 K a year (I was making 7.50 an hour when I wrote that one down with an unmarketable degree) or kiss the person I'd secretly been in love with for close to twenty years.

Others seemed equally hard but considering my progress and fortune I figured it was when and not if. Now, every single one of them seems like MS could keep them unchecked for good. Get a degree in biology. Have a child as a single parent. Cast a sculpture in bronze. Live to 90. Move back to FL and get a little house by the ocean. Maybe I should make a new one. Get to the grocery store when needed. Don't pee more than four times a night. Meh.
            Lol, I would gladly replace my wish to go to Paris with not peeing more than four times a night on my bucket list if I could!!
            Anonymous

Comment

No, you're right Jules A. Though my glass is not half full, or empty, it still has some water left in it. Actually what I'd really like is another glass.

Comment

Hm, I don't have a bucket list right now. A lot of what I wanted to do is sort of out of the question now (lots of walking, etc.).

I should go through other people's lists to see what I've accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
                  Hm, I don't have a bucket list right now. A lot of what I wanted to do is sort of out of the question now (lots of walking, etc.).

I should go through other people's lists to see what I've accomplished.
                  Yes definitely do it! I think you will be happy to see how much you have done that others are still hoping to accomplish.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                    Everyone needs a Bucket List! And when you complete it, make another. It keeps you going.
                    Yes!

I know you have done tons of interesting things in your life, especially with your past career. What is on your current bucket list, KatieAgain?
                    Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                      Yes!

I know you have done tons of interesting things in your life, especially with your past career. What is on your current bucket list, KatieAgain?
                      1) I want to go back to Rome, Ireland and Hawaii.

2) I want to do a totally anonymous random act of kindness like pay the vet bills for someone who can not afford to pay for their beloved companions surgery.

3) I want to go to NYC and see the all the Broadway Shows.

4) Be the person my little dog thinks I am.

5) Play a round of golf every single month that I am not in a flare.

6) Volunteer some time at the local Military Benefits Office.

7) Read 100 more books.

8) Eat out with a friend at least once a week.

Thanks for asking!
                      Katie
                      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                      "My MS is a Journey for One."
                      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                        1) I want to go back to Rome, Ireland and Hawaii.

2) I want to do a totally anonymous random act of kindness like pay the vet bills for someone who can not afford to pay for their beloved companions surgery.

3) I want to go to NYC and see the all the Broadway Shows.

4) Be the person my little dog thinks I am.

5) Play a round of golf every single month that I am not in a flare.

6) Volunteer some time at the local Military Benefits Office.

7) Read 100 more books.

8) Eat out with a friend at least once a week.

Thanks for asking!
                        I love em all! Especially helping someone's beloved pet which I'm sure would make your dear pooch extremely proud and take two things off your list at once.
                        Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                          Lol, I would gladly replace my wish to go to Paris with not peeing more than four times a night on my bucket list if I could!!
                          Too funny! But a "Bucket List" is not the same as a wish list.

I was blessed early in life and have had some pretty exciting times.
                          MS has put a serious damper on my life and changed my goals.
                          Now I have many modest goals I try to attain daily (make dinner, complete my exercise program, don't soil myself...etc.) but my "Bucket List" is pretty short.

I would like to travel Europe with no schedule or plan (and minimal baggage).
                          I would like to see NYC during the holidays.
                          Uruguay looks very interesting, I would like to go on an extended visit there. (perhaps a year or two?)
                          It may be liberating to own nothing. Not be poor, just shed the responsibility of home ownership.
                          I guess I dream of selling everything I own and traveling for a while.

Sure would help if I learned to speak more than just English.
                          I need to be able to say gluten free, lactose free in as many language's possible. (Is gluten/lactose free even possible in Italy?)

Comment

My bucket-list /accomplished list

I needed to look back at everything I have already done that someone my age will never be able to do.
                            1. Ride a racehorse in a race
                            2. Get pregnant
                            3. Have 2 kids
                            4. Be a Grandma
                            5. Learn to coonhunt with dogs
                            6. Own a National Champion Coondog
                            7. Win at a team-roping competion (even if it was a small one)
                            8. Train my own barrel horse
                            9. Win enough to qualify for the finals on that horse
                            10. Place 3rd in those finals

Making that list made me realize that I have been blessed to be able to have many memories to look back on. I could keep on listing but these were on my first couple of BLs.
                            All sunsets are beautiful, but the most amazing sunsets have a few clouds.

Comment

Originally posted by sulphur kennel View Post
                              I needed to look back at everything I have already done that someone my age will never be able to do.
                              1. Ride a racehorse in a race
                              2. Get pregnant
                              3. Have 2 kids
                              4. Be a Grandma
                              5. Learn to coonhunt with dogs
                              6. Own a National Champion Coondog
                              7. Win at a team-roping competion (even if it was a small one)
                              8. Train my own barrel horse
                              9. Win enough to qualify for the finals on that horse
                              10. Place 3rd in those finals

Making that list made me realize that I have been blessed to be able to have many memories to look back on. I could keep on listing but these were on my first couple of BLs.
                              Yes! This is exactly what I was going for. No matter how things end up in your life this list is very impressive. How many people can say they have participated in equine competitions? I grew up on a horse and know the amount of time, energy and love required to just maintain them. The fun you had training and competing must have been divine!!

I plan to keep working on my "already done bucket list" when I need a pick me up.
                              Happy New Year.
                              Anonymous

Comment

Working...
                              X