E-cigarettes and ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-cigarettes and ms

I realize I have probably caused damage due to smoking re my ms and those past actions can still have effects in the future, but in terms of additional affects, do you think I have eliminated the ms connection by switching to the electronic ones? I quit twice this year and don't plan to quit quitting and one time it will keep, but the chantix had really bad mood effects. Not really asking abt quitting just e-cigs and ms.

Thanks in advance.

I continued to smoke until hospitalized with a flare from which I have yet to recover I laid in that bed promising God that if he would allow me to walk again that I would stop smoking. I did manage a limited walk with the assistance of a walker. I now use a power chair as needed.

To quit smoking I read about Lot's wife in the Bible. God told her "leave and don't look back" Lot's wife did and turned to a pillar of salt. I stopped smoking and never looked back.

Try to Find a way Stop smoking!
    [I]Tellnhelen
    Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

While I don't think the e-cigs are harmless I would say they are probably less harmful than traditional cigarettes.

That said I don't think the changes we make now in an effort to preserve our health are something that will "eliminated the MS connection" but continuing to improve on our modifiable lifestyle factors definitely won't hurt.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

Hi, Nicotine is one the most addicting substances that there is but the worst part is that it passes the blood brain barrier which is very bad for your M.S. It took me a lot of tries but I finally quit about 10 years ago. By all means keep using the e-cigs if you can not quit as real cigarettes have many more poisonous substances that pass the blood brain barrier plus the lung cancer and heart risks go way up. I know what you are going through and it is pure hell but it can be done. I just got mad and I would just say to myself NO! I will not let those ***s win.
        PEACE

Tort

Comment

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
          do you think I have eliminated the ms connection by switching to the electronic ones?
          Not even close. No one knows what ingredients of cigarette smoke are tied to the increased risk (and progression?) of MS.

Good luck with quitting. I figure I quit several different ways and dozens of times before it stuck, and I attribute it to practicing making perfect. For me, 'cold turkey' eventually did the trick...
          1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
          NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

So, if nicotine can cross the blood/brain barrier, and this barrier is supposed to be one of the innumerable reasons why treating MS is so hard, have researchers looked into why nicotine can do this and maybe using it to hitch a ride inside so to speak?

Sorry, loooong sentence.

I can see why the e-cig appeals, because you get the deep inhaling and exhaling of "smoke" which was half the fun, as I recall.

Cold turkey is the only solution, because nicotine is a stubborn little sucker. Your brain loves it, and does not want you to stop, whichever way you're getting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
              So, if nicotine can cross the blood/brain barrier, and this barrier is supposed to be one of the innumerable reasons why treating MS is so hard, have researchers looked into why nicotine can do this and maybe using it to hitch a ride inside so to speak?
              In MS the problem is the other way around. It isn't so much that we need to get things into the brain (and steroids already do cross the blood brain barrier) but that we need to keep immune components OUT of the brain to stop damage from occurring in the first place.

Comment

If you really want to quit, you just have to quit. You'll be a foul-tempered nightmare for a while. Nicotine replacements are just that. Like methadone.
                To be honest, now that things have have gone pear-shaped for me, I can't help but think, hey ho, why not?

Comment

I talked to my neuro about e-cigs and his thinking was....

E-cigs are not 'good' for you, but at least you don't get the tar and other chemicals that the burning action of real cigarettes gives you.

Since I have not been able to quit, he encouraged me to keep using the e-cigs and to use lighter level nicotine ones whenever possible. He felt stepping down the nicotine level slowly may help some folks quit all together.

So... I am working on it, and I am doing pretty good. While I have not seen any improvement or worsening of my MS symptoms, my lungs appreciate it!
                  Echo
                  DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

Oh how I empathize with you or anyone trying to quit smoking cigarettes! Having worked most of my career in addiction AND lastly in hospice I am amazed at how the brain fools us, well meaning to quit, yet lured back to our drug of choice over and over.

I have seen the link between continuing to smoke cigarettes and relapses when you smoked your drug of choice for example. And I have witnessed people dying ask for a cigarette when they barely had any strength to inhale. Folks even checked out of hospital AMA in order to smoke a cigarette, then get readmitted. That is powerful!

So my little recommendation is to CHANGE up your environment, schedule and situations where you used to smoke. These places, persons and situations are triggers, via your senses, unknowingly linking you to the "memories" established when you were "using."

If you smoked in a certain chair, or after eating, when stressed, for example, you need to re-train your brain to learn NEW ways to cope, new places to relax etc.

Taking another drug, or E cigarettes may be helpful initially but in the long run never train the brain that it can survive without a cigarette. In MY opinion, even if this works for awhile, I am afraid these devices can eventually lead you back to using again.

Just my little thoughts.. good luck, as I do feel for you!
                    Don't give up and do not allow your brain to take your personal power away from you~

Warmly, Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!
                    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
                    X