What causes your relapses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What causes your relapses?

Do you know what causes some of your relapses?
    Are they all random or have you learned some predictability over time?
    Are there certain things that will absolutely put you in a relapse? Some things that might?
    Diagnosed MS 11/2012
    2nd Opinion DX RRMS 9/2013
    1st Avonex Injection 10/13/2013
    .....just keep swimming...........

My relapses are completely unpredictable. I have had 3 that I think were brought on by stress, but I've also been through some very stressful incidents and didn't have a relapse. I've have had a relapse a couple of times after having a cold. But I've also had colds and didn't have a relapse after. So there doesn't seem to be any way to predict them.

Comment

The most confusing thing about MS is the confusion it brings to me. I have had a few issues come up over the years and never know if it's the MS or not until I see my doctor. I've just been through my first real relapse and I have no idea what brought it on.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful. I'm just as confused as the next person.

Comment

Mine are unpredictable. They seem to prefer October-March even now that my D levels are high, and I've never had one in May, June, or July, but I assume it's just a matter of time.

For me, they just happen.

Comment

Thanks everyone!
          I sure wish there was more predictability, at least individually that you could learn over time.

My sister lives in another state and came to visit for the weekend with her hubby and kids. This was in July and after walking with her all weekend to show her around our property and the stress of all the young ones I had a relapse.

A couple weeks ago I got put under for an upper and lower GI and I thought for sure it would trigger a relapse but nope I was fine (which I was happy about).

Crazy thing is what prompted the upper GI was that I woke up one morning and couldn't swallow! It was horrible, for 2 weeks just swallowing some water felt like I was trying to swallow a tennis ball. It was so painful and it felt like a ball was stuck in my throat the whole 2 weeks. No one ever mentioned it might be from MS. So they did the upper GI and just found some acid issues which I've had for years so nothing new. At this point its over a month later, I feel better and they didn't find anything stuck in my throat so then he suggests that it could be from MS and I should call my neuro.
          Well why bother at this point, derp!
          Maybe that was a relapse?
          If it happens again I will definitely call my neuro.

Although ever since that incident I keep choking on liquid, even my saliva!! I can be just sitting there watching TV and all of a sudden I'll be choking on my saliva. Its almost like my throat doesn't know how to direct liquid to my stomach anymore and it just goes straight into my lungs, only liquids not food.
          Anyone know what thats about???

Anyway I know MS is all crazy but I was hoping some of you seasoned MSer's had learned over the years what causes your relapses or is likely to cause one.
          I have to have surgery on some arthritis on my foot and I have been putting it off for fear that the surgery would trigger a relapse but my foot is killing me so putting it off won't be an option much longer. I guess it really doesn't matter right? It is what it is!! I can't live my life in fear of a relapse, yeah easier said than done, lol.

Completely off topic but I'm having a mammogram tomorrow (and my yearly that's not so yearly), ahhhhhh, never had one before and I'm so nervous!!!
          I need my boobies and lady parts hurting like I need a hole in my head, oh wait I already got a hole in my head ;-)

Yikes, me'o'my'o!!!
          Diagnosed MS 11/2012
          2nd Opinion DX RRMS 9/2013
          1st Avonex Injection 10/13/2013
          .....just keep swimming...........

Comment

Working...
          X