Question about exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about exercise

Well its been almost 2 months since my diagnosis - time to get off my *** and do something proactive. I've been pretty much sedentary since being diagnosed - first because of fatigue, next because of depression/anxiety. Prozac is kicking in, I've started Tecfidera, I currently have NO symptoms - time to get on with it.

I don't have a gym membership (I hate 24Hour Fitness) and can't really afford a membership. I DO have a TotalGym machine at home. I can't do anything 'impacty', like running, because of a fused ankle which also makes bike riding tough.

Any suggestions? I considered yoga but my balance is so bad (due to weak leg/fused ankle) that I'm sure I'll fall over with some of those poses.

I want to be strong again. I lost 30lbs a few years ago and lifted weights 3x a week with a personal trainer - and LOVED it.

Do MS societies generally offer any kind of fitness thing? I wonder if insurance will cover anything under physical therapy? Any ideas?
    No sir, I don't like it.
    Diagnosed August 30, 2013.

Hello JBW

Congratulations on being sx free! Getting back into an active lifestyle is a great idea! Some insurance companies will pay for a gym membership...I'm not sure if it's just PPO's or just for Seniors, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

I find it difficult to do standing exercises so I prefer the recumbant bike. I also take the classes for seniors with activities designed for sitting or standing.

I hope you find the right activities to fit your need and lifestyle. take care
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

JBW--walking is always easy AND free. Since you recommended yoga, I would encourage you to do it. Yoga is fantastic for strengthening and increasing balance. And you DON'T have to start with all those poses that you're worried you'll fall over.

I would also suggest looking at your local library for exercise dvd's. Since you're in CO, I would think that winter is almost upon you, so outdoors stuff may be out of the question for awhile due to the weather.

At the library, look for yoga dvd's "for beginners." This will start you off slowly and easily. You can use a chair for balance at first as well. Also look for any Leslie Sansone videos "Walk Away the Pounds." She gets you moving/walking and is a great place to start.

But the best thing is to just get moving doing something YOU enjoy and then keep at it!

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks both of you! I will check into the yoga videos at the library. I need to get some good stretches in!
        No sir, I don't like it.
        Diagnosed August 30, 2013.

Comment

Swinging your arms around in a seated position also counts as cardio and gets your heart rate up.

Comment

Yoga

I also recommend yoga. My balance is, well screwy, but I do all the stretches AND the standing poses, I just do them while standing next to a wall or chair. Easy grabbing distance . I does wonders for your leg and arm strength.

Comment

How about contacting the MS Society in your state and asking if they having any recommendations to exercise programs?

Comment

Working...
              X