Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is multiple sclerosis affecting your memory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep Unfortunately!!!! I struggle with it all the time and while in my profession really sucks Hang in there

Comment

Originally posted by barnettmichell View Post
      Yep Unfortunately!!!! I struggle with it all the time and while in my profession really sucks Hang in there
      What's your profession?
      Without hope there's nothing.

Comment

Yes. Unfortunately it does. I have had the short term issue, some of which is related to focus problems, some due to slower processing speed. But have also had those moments of getting lost in the neighborhood, buying the same thing at grocery store since I seem to make a list, forget it, and then not remember what is on it. I should start selling sugar, chicken broth, tuna, and cream of mushroom soup. Anyone want any?

I think trying to compensate for it at work started to take a toll. Tough cycle with cognitive problems and fatigue, then symptom esacalatiom with fatigue. Going thru the disability process now. Testing showed mild deficits in some areas. I love the term mild - I dropped 50-60% in a few measures, but since score was low part of average now when superior before, just "mild". Well "mild" is not mild to me.

I took a class on my own last year, didn't retain,anything. I had two one week training sessions at work...same result, retained very little. What I did was because I was already familiar. Only thing LTD carrier acknowledged was my job was "cognitively intense". I have A FEELING first 2 years will be approved, but like mjan, expect a challenge after that when clause switches to "any occupation" as opposed to current occupation.

Definitely discuss issues with your neuro and get tested to make sure you have a benchmark. Good luck.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by JBWInColorado View Post
          I took a Spanish class last summer at my University (before being dx'ed) and failed it. I would be in tears of frustration during exams when everything I'd studied and studied just... wasn't there. I'd never had this problem before, I learn things easily, and even though I knew Spanish would be challenging, I expected to at least retain some of what I learned. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. It was like everything I learned just bounced right off my brain.
          Wait! You remembered "Nada!"

Seriously, I'm totally tracking with you all! Before MS, I was rather proud of having a sharp mind and not needing to write lists and notes to remind me of things. Now that I'm beginning to forget things (I'm SO thankful for a wonderful wife who has covered for me countless times recently!), I've swallowed my pride and have begun making lists. Now I just need to remember where I put the lists...
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

RRMS, dx May 2013, on Gilenya from May '13 - Aug. 14
          Currently following Dr. Jelinek's OMS (Overcoming MS) plan

Comment

Working...
          X