Brain Fog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain Fog

So I've only had a diagnosis for about 2 months and I have almost got up to the full dose of Betaseron but lately I have been experiencing more fatigue and I feel like I'm just in a fog all the time. I can't concentrate and I'm finding it hard to get anything done. I'm going to school to get my RN , and it's become impossible to study. I even find myself having difficulty when I'm driving.

I've always been a very strong willed person and when I set my mind to something I got it done. I feel like this is breaking me, no matter how hard I try to study I just can't get it done. I already take the meds for fatigue but they aren't much help and this
    "Fog" is horrible. What do I do? Is there anything that will help.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Dx RR August 2013
    DMD Betaseron
    Nursing Student (RN)
    Mother to 1 year old

Hi Hlawman

Welcome! sorry to hear you're suffering 'brain fog'...I'm hoping the Betaseron works as well for you as it has for me. You sound extremely busy with a 1 year old and Nursing School. I hope the stress of all that is not contributing to your brain fog.

Try taking a weekend to relax and see if that helps..take care
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Hello and welcome from me too, Im sorry there are not many answers for brain fog that Ive found. Your neuro once firmly set with him may have some ideas.

For me a daily anti inflamatory helps some ( I use celebrex) but it doesnt ness' solve the problem.

I dont drive often anymore because of this sx, its just too scarey for me when I cant seem to concentrate clearly while driving.

I describe this sx as having a fish bowl over my head or like when I have a severe head cold and cant think at all.

Its awful and can feel very debilitating.

I do agree with the prev poster, stress and lack of the extra sleep and rest ms requires can make this sx worse as it can any ms sx.

Best to you, hang in there you will have ups with the downs. And do communicate with you doc.

Comment

I don't want to be "Debby Downer" here (no pun intended!), but having just been dxed is difficult not just physically, but emotionally, psychologically, etc. It may be that you need to take a short break from nursing school to get your ducks in a row.

You've just started this new medication that could have a variety of side effects. You may need other medications in the next few months, and in the years to follow. One of the most important things you can do for yourself is rest, eliminate stress as much as possible, come to terms with this new dx and the meds, spend happy time with your family, and just overall "take care of you".

While I wouldn't choose to have MS or wish it on anyone, what it has done for me is teach me to slow down, take care of myself, enjoy my family and life more, enjoy my friendships more, and spend more time communing with my Higher Power.

Nursing School may be very important to you, but it will still be there if/when you take some time to acclimate to the changes in your life. Also, if you have what we all call the "cog-fog" you won't be able to think clearly in your studies and any practicum experiences that are required, and to be honest, you sound like you may be a hazard on the road if you can't focus. You don't want to hurt yourself or anyone else.

You may disagree with me, and that's okay. This is a place where we can safely share our thoughts and feelings. I'm glad you did, and I hope you continue to come here. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on these boards....use them to your advantage. And believe me, the people on these boards know a heck of a lot more than any doctor I've been to because they LIVE WITH MS every day! The MSer's are the true experts in my opinion.....but then my husband's definition of an expert is a little different than mine - he says an "ex" is a has-been, and a "spert/spurt" is a drip under pressure!

Lots of love and hugs to you....
        Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

couple ? and suggestions

Have you had your vitamin D level checked and on a suppliment to keep your Vitamin D up.

Are you taking a vitamin b12 sublingual suppliment

Have you tried Copaxone as compared to Betaserone? There is less side effects with Copaxone.

There are medications to help the fatigue. Talk to your doctor.

You can also take suppliment to help. I use acety-L-carnitine and alpha lipic acid to help the mental fatigue.

This is from the nursing instructor stand point:

Make sure you are getting enough sleep. Irrigardless of what you have to study.

Record lectures if your instructors allow. Listen to lecture and lecture over and over.

Talk to your instructors about help.

Make sure that you are taking advantage of nursing tutors, if available. Study in groups. Utilize family and friends to help care for your one year old during this time.

Make sure you utilize what ever preperation books that your school utilizes. (Hessi, NCLEX) to help study.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Unforutanetly, I just can't put my education on hold, because of some mistakes I have made with school in the past, if I withdrew now I would never be eligible for a pell grant again and I can't afford to pay for school. I also don't just want to give up because in a few months after getting all my meds regulated I may be a lot better. I am thankful enough to have a very supportive husband and family, so I get plenty of help with my son. It's really just the problems I have focusing especially when I try to read. I called my neuro last Friday and left a message with a nurse about this but have yet to get a reply, I've called back several times and they said he has not gotten to it yet.
            Dx RR August 2013
            DMD Betaseron
            Nursing Student (RN)
            Mother to 1 year old

Comment

I´m betting the texts are available in an audio format and with your dx, maybe available for little or no cost.

A study just came out that when we´re sleeping is when the spaces open up in our brains for the cellular waste to be cleaned out. This cleaning ONLY happens when we sleep. Better to be clear in the AM so you can focus on lectures.

I take flax oil, fish oil, evening primrose oil - there is an association between MS and the metabolism of fatty acids.

I get the lack of follow through despite the will to do it. Cutting yourself slack is helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hlawman View Post
                So I've only had a diagnosis for about 2 months and I have almost got up to the full dose of Betaseron but lately I have been experiencing more fatigue and I feel like I'm just in a fog all the time. I can't concentrate and I'm finding it hard to get anything done. I'm going to school to get my RN , and it's become impossible to study. I even find myself having difficulty when I'm driving.

I've always been a very strong willed person and when I set my mind to something I got it done. I feel like this is breaking me, no matter how hard I try to study I just can't get it done. I already take the meds for fatigue but they aren't much help and this
                "Fog" is horrible. What do I do? Is there anything that will help.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

As some other posters have stated...you are newly Dx. That in itself brings the strongest people down to their knees. And that is certainly causing some stress and cog fog. So be kind to yourself.

Additionally, when you do get to talk to your Neuro, please talk about Copaxone or one of the oral drugs. Interferons are rough on a lot of people and weaning on to them is tough...might take more than a few months on interferon, but everyone is different. Fatigue is common when weaning onto interferon.

IMHO, I think you going to school right now is a good thing. I hope your Neuro has some sage advice for you in regards to the cog fog.
                Katie
                "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                "My MS is a Journey for One."
                Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I TOTALLY get the Pell Grant situation you're in, having experienced it myself. So taking a break from school is not an option.

Just, please, do your best to get rest. And if you are doing ANY nursing, ask someone to look over your records to be sure you don't make mistakes.

I have a friend who has worked at UVA Medical Center as an oncology nurse for 27 years, and now manages the department in addition to working as a nurse. She says there are more patients and fewer nurses than in the past plus additional beds have been brought in (aka the hospital trying to make more money), which translates to longer shifts, extreme fatigue and lots of mistakes with those she is responsible for....and that is in someone who does not have MS.

She personally documents in GREAT detail every single thing she does, medications given and their doses, etc. She tries to get her staff to do the same, and to double or even triple check every action taken, and/or have someone take a look, particularly if they are really fatigued.

She has said that she feels like nothing will change until a patient's health status is adversely affected because of a mistake and/or someone dies - that the hospital will continue to compromise the health of their patients until something terrible happens and it affects them financially. And her documenting everything as she does is to protect herself. Sometimes she is so.....tired she is scared she will make a mistake. Often she sleeps at the hospital when her shift is over rather than take the chance of driving home. She also has repeatedly written letters to the hospital in behalf of her team, and in behalf of the patient's.

My point is that if someone who does not have MS goes through all this, you can only imagine the affect on a true cog-fogger! So.....just be careful! Take every precaution and be overly precise!
                  Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

I was recently diagnosed as well and totally had the brain fog problem. Turns out, and I believe, it was as much a side effect of the heavy IV doses of sol-medrol as it had to do with the flare up I was having. Have you been on prednisone or any steroid? I learned SM can stay in your system for up to 3 weeks after the last dose, and it can definitely make you very fuzzy headed, as well as emotional. I cried at anything - people being nice to me, as well as out of frustration that I just couldn't think right. Things at work that before had been no problem, were now more than I could deal with. I'd look at something at work and just burst into tears because my mind just couldn't handle it. I'm almost 2 months out from my diagnosis and I'm just starting to come out of it. Its like my brain was a muscle and just paralyzed at first, but now it's starting to work again. Thank god my employers are awesome.

Also I was having anxiety attacks and definitely slipped into depression pretty quickly - and that can also make it really hard to think straight. A little Prozac and some therapy is helping more every day.

What a horrible time to get such a diagnosis - right in the middle of your studies. I hope things get easier for you soon.
                    No sir, I don't like it.
                    Diagnosed August 30, 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Debby View Post
                      I TOTALLY get the Pell Grant situation you're in, having experienced it myself. So taking a break from school is not an option.

Just, please, do your best to get rest. And if you are doing ANY nursing, ask someone to look over your records to be sure you don't make mistakes.

I have a friend who has worked at UVA Medical Center as an oncology nurse for 27 years, and now manages the department in addition to working as a nurse. She says there are more patients and fewer nurses than in the past plus additional beds have been brought in (aka the hospital trying to make more money), which translates to longer shifts, extreme fatigue and lots of mistakes with those she is responsible for....and that is in someone who does not have MS.

She personally documents in GREAT detail every single thing she does, medications given and their doses, etc. She tries to get her staff to do the same, and to double or even triple check every action taken, and/or have someone take a look, particularly if they are really fatigued.

She has said that she feels like nothing will change until a patient's health status is adversely affected because of a mistake and/or someone dies - that the hospital will continue to compromise the health of their patients until something terrible happens and it affects them financially. And her documenting everything as she does is to protect herself. Sometimes she is so.....tired she is scared she will make a mistake. Often she sleeps at the hospital when her shift is over rather than take the chance of driving home. She also has repeatedly written letters to the hospital in behalf of her team, and in behalf of the patient's.

My point is that if someone who does not have MS goes through all this, you can only imagine the affect on a true cog-fogger! So.....just be careful! Take every precaution and be overly precise!
                      Hi Debby, I'm the chief nursing officer at UVA. One of our employees came across this post and shared it with me. I'm concerned about your friend and would like to work with her to address the issues you raised. Please encourage her to email me or call me *** Thanks — Lorna

***Information removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines***

Comment

Great suggestions!

Dear Hlawman,
                        I'm sorry you are having such a hard time! I was diagnosed 10 years ago, and often I have trouble concentrating. Rest/sleep is key, of course. Also biting off smaller chunks at any one time. When brain fog hits me, I can reread the same paragraph, even sentence, and nothing sticks. Sometimes it works to put down the book and go into the kitchen for a piece of fruit or some carrots. Don't eat while you're trying to read! If I do, all I hear in my head is my chewing! It's great that your family is supportive! You are doing (or trying to do) a huge amount at the same time, so expect to be overwhelmed and give yourself huge amounts of credit for coping as well as you are. I really believe things will get better! And keep using the site! Best to you!

Comment

Working...
                        X