Falling asleep/blacking out while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling asleep/blacking out while driving

At lunch today I took my Gabapentin (400mg). 30 minutes later while driving back to work drowsiness overcame me. It came on suddenly and I closed my eyes for a moment. I jerked awake and was starting to drift into the turn lane. My eyes were only closed for a second (I think). It scared the heck out of me but it happened again a few minutes later. I don't know if I briefly fell asleep or if I was blacking out. I could not seem to control it. Has anyone ever had this happen? BTW, I always take my Gabapentin at lunch and have never had this happen

I experienced a black out but it was long before starting Neurontin/Gabapentin and not while driving, thankfully!

My episode happened while sitting at my desk during a meeting. I blacked out for a second or two, 'came to' grasping at my desk as though I was attempting to not fall off my desk chair. I describe the episode as 'violent', because it was soooo sudden and my reaction when I came 'to' was kind of primal? and desperate. I was glancing back and forth at those in the meeting with me, so I'm not sure if it may have been visual/balance related. I've had a couple of similar episodes, but that one was the first and the worst.

I don't know what to make of it, maybe a sudden extreme visual+balance problem? IDK. I was very MS sick and undx'ed at the time, extreme insomnia, cognitive problems, visual, stressful new job working full time, relocation, toddler at home, etc.

I'm not suggesting that you should discount possible relation to your Gabapentin dose. Particularly since the dose was so close to the blackout episode. Also, I don't know if blackouts are a know or unknown side effect of Gabapentin.

Best of luck and I hope you figure out what caused your blackout.

Comment

Not to be an alarmist, but I'm not sure I would drive again until I was checked out by doctor. During the first episode,
      I dropped multiple times in a few minutes and was initially diagnosed with "vasovagal syncope." I've collapsed a number of times in my life an it's always unnerving. I'm glad I was never driving during those times.

If you must work maybe someone can drop you off and pick you up until you can get into the doctor. I hope the find out what's going on and better yet that it never happens again.

Comment

in addition to the above and probably more suggestions;
        This time of year we start using our heaters in our homes and

Carbon Monoxide poisoning it something you need to consider, just to be on the safe side. Often a headache is one of the signs of it.

Sure hope that is not your situation, but please be aware..there is a possibility. fed

Comment

Working...
        X