Burning skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning skin

Has anyone ever felt like their skin was irritated and had a burning sensation? I know that this is typically a sign of shingles but I don't have any lesions. It's uncomfortable when my clothing touches my back and rib cage both sides. Advil seems to help. Will see neuro for follow up appointment this week. Diagnosed last year. Not presently on meds. Other than this symptom I am pretty much asymptomatic.

I get that sometimes. I have been told it is just neuropathic.

Definitely add it to your symptom log and let your neuro know.

Comment

Yes, I have had that often! I told my neuro the song "This Girl is on Fire" was written for me. LOL

I take Gabapentin and Nortriptyline for the burning, nerve pain, etc.
      ~Piper - DX'd 2/2010 - Mama, Wife, Working gal

Comment

There's a search bar on the blue bar at the top of this forum and you can access search, specifically Advanced Search. Then run a search for Burning (specify Titles Only) and you'll come up with dozens of threads about burning feelings.

Unfortunately it's pretty common, but there are meds to help. Anti seizure meds like Tegretol and Neurontin sometime work. Lots of other meds they use too, Lyrica seems to help some folks. I take Elavil once a day and it takes the edge off.

Here's a link to one of the threads...sorry you're experiencing this symptom, it's annoying (I use icepacks and lidocaine cream on my feet when it gets too distracting.)

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...t=burning+skin

Comment

Burning skin

MiSunderstood, Thanks for the humor. We really could use a little of that from time to time. Great to have this connection to other people who understand what we all go through.

Comment

Burning Skin

I guess it was Piper who has the humor.

Comment

burning sensation

Wow, I am experiencing that too. I have been diagnosed 4 years. My left arm burns andworse when touched by anything. My feet feel on fire often. I loved the song reference!

Comment

I experience the burning from time to time. It is so sensitive to have anything including cloth touch my skin.

Fortunately, I have not had it in a few months.

Comment

I get the burning often... My neck, shoulders and arms.. I use ice packs to try and cool it down... Also take gapapentin not sure if that's spelled right!!!
                  It all started with a mouse.. " Walt Disney"

Comment

It's not shingles. It's never shingles. (House)

I had shingles, albeit I waited till lesions showed up and then blamed poison ivy. I'm told it doesn't manifest itself on both sides. What it does, if it's on your torso, is follow a nerve pathway from the point of origin (the spine) around to the end of the pathway. So it may start on your back and wrap around to the front of your ribcage on one side. At least, that was what the docs said. YMMV.

Incidentally, should you happen to have a pro diagnose shingles, make sure you get treatment for it immediately. The longer you wait to treat, the greater the odds of developing postherpetic neuralgia: nerve pain that lasts and lasts and lasts. Ask me how I know.

Comment

Me too!

The burning was the 1st symptom to show up 10 months ago. It started in my hands and feet and gradually moved up to include my entire arm and leg, both sides. It's also in my face now, lips, eyelids, ears, etc. It feels like a severe sunburn, and it never goes away. It's painful to wear shoes, too. Sometimes it feels like ice water is running through my lower legs, mixed with the burning. Strange sensations.

My neuro exam and symptoms match MS, but my MRIs and VEP do not, so I'm in limbo with a diagnosis. Multiple blood tests don't show anything at all.

So the burning and other symptoms continue without an answer.

Comment

I was told for a good ten years there was nothing wrong with me, it was "all in my head". They were sort of right! Ask your neuro if you can have a spinal (not just c-spine) MRI done. It turned out that my initial lesions were all in my spinal cord. Saw them on a MRI done for cervical spine fusion prep.

Good, luck and feel better.
                        Hugs ~ Margaret

Comment

Working...
                        X