Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does aggravating symptoms cause more damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does aggravating symptoms cause more damage?

Sometimes Ill do something that aggravates my symptoms (for example, working out & getting overheated causes me to loose hearing, twitch in areas, get shaky and have electrical zaps in my legs. When I cool off it goes away) Can this cause permanent damage or is it making the MS worse?

No, it cannot make your MS worse, but it can make you feel worse. It will not change your lesion load or disability projections beyond what they are already. What you are feeling are called pseudo exacerbations. They are benign. However, you may not want to punish yourself by doing so many things that make you feel badly. Find things to do in cooler atmospheres like a cool gym. If you are already doing that you might want to invest in a cooling vest for your work outs. They will keep you cool for up to 2 hours most of them.
    Or, you might consider water aerobics.

I wish you the best of luck, but don't worry. You are okay.

Take care
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Hi candycane,

No you are not causing permanent damage or making your MS worse. What you are experiencing is quite common when getting over heated.

I take a cool shower after working out as it helps bring my symptoms back down to what is normal for me.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I do this all the time, like every day, sometimes twice in one day. I think it's worth it because I believe exercise is helping to manage my MS and keep it quiet.

It has more of an impact on me in hot weather, in terms of feeling poorly afterward, but it hasn't done me any harm (no flares).

One of the training effects of exercise is to make your body more efficient at dissipating heat, as it is produced by your muscles when you work out. So I actually believe that being aerobically fit helps me deal with heat overall (even while not exercising).

Do what you can, but it has to work within your life and all your other obligations.

Comment

Working...
        X