2.3 million with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.3 million with MS

LONDON (Reuters) - The number of people living with multiple sclerosis around the world has increased by 10 percent in the past five years to 2.3 million, according to the most extensive survey of the disease to date.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is most common in North America and Europe, at 140 and 108 cases per 100,000 respectively, while in sub-Saharan Africa the rate is just 2.1 per 100,000, the Multiple Sclerosis International Federation's Atlas of MS 2013 showed on Wednesday.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/1...9901FJ20131001

A scary number to say the least. And you know that there are more as no one really knows how many cases that there truly are.

Comment

When I heard this, the scary part was an increase of 10% in 5 years! Wow! What's happening out there?

Comment

There has to be more people with ms than is reported. The numbers always seem low to me.

Maybe because I have the disease, but I know of quite a few people who have or have had direct relations with ones who have ms.

And more people are diagnosed with it, too. Yeah, what is going on?

Comment

I agree, I often wonder about those numbers that are quoted. The number quoted in many articles I read has the number of people with MS in the U.S. close to what it was when I was diagnosed 7 yrs. ago. I think the numbers by now should be a lot higher. A friend of mine knew of one person who had MS when I was diagnosed, now she can name eight people who have been diagnosed.

Comment

IMHO the increase is mostly due the advancement of MRI technologies. But I also believe MS is WAY under-reported.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Well, there is an increasing growth in all autoimmune disorders over the past period, possibly due to environmental causes.

I also think diagnosis is more likely now than in the past due to increased use of imaging technology, more MS-focused centers, clarification of diagnostic criteria, and overall awareness.

Comment

Working...
              X