Researchers find 48 genes linked to MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researchers find 48 genes linked to MS

"The exciting thing about this is we have doubled the number of genes that we now know are associated with MS," he said. "What that means is every one of those new genes is potentially providing us with a new way to understand the disease and to come up with new therapies for the disease."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-3...s-cure/4987984

Thanks for this Marco! We're another step closer
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Good article. I read it and then saw a link on the same page about an MSer being the "new face" for euthanization! Talk about a buzz kill! Now what were we talking about...??
      Tawanda

Comment

Great news!

Re: the new face of euthanasia -- I think it is realistic though! A lot of people don't understand how much havoc that MS can wreak on a person's mind and body. Even a lot of people with MS I've encountered don't fully understand how devasting it can be on others with the same disease.

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
          Great news!

Re: the new face of euthanasia -- I think it is realistic though! A lot of people don't understand how much havoc that MS can wreak on a person's mind and body. Even a lot of people with MS I've encountered don't fully understand how devasting it can be on others with the same disease.
          Well said, Misslux.

OP, thanks for posting I do believe accepting and exploring the familial aspects is crucial to making advances. Thank you.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
            Well said, Misslux.

OP, thanks for posting I do believe accepting and exploring the familial aspects is crucial to making advances. Thank you.
            Amen...I have been screaming it from this Board as I am an actual participant in the MS Family Genome study that helped in obtaining these results. This is the only upside of being a member of an MS cluster family, I guess.
            Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
              Great news!

True. As I just mentioned in another post, not all of us are lucky enough to have MS "Light". With so many genes discovered so far (and probably many more to come) related to MS, this could explain why this disease varies so much amongst us. It's like a kaleidoscope...you can't shake up these genes and get the same pattern twice, not even in the same nuclear family. As bad as it is, so far my version of MS has not been nearly as incapacitating as my Mom's MS. She also could have bern a good face for the Euthanasia campaign.
              Tawanda

Comment

Working...
              X