Weakness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weakness

How much weight can you lift? I sure can't do what I used to be able to do! Anything over 10 pounds is too much. You know how much this limits the yard work and the house work etc. I can't understand how I got this way.

I used to move very fast. Did everything quickly and did plenty of it. Now I can barely take out the garbage sack. In fact, we make sure to make the bags light if I'm going to be the one taking it out. Use a lot of bags that way.

Weakness feels a lot like fatigue too.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

I struggle with even 5 lbs! Even my iPad is too heavy in my purse.

I am small but I used to be very strong for my size and would often walk home with 20-30 lbs of dod food. I used to stack 40 lb bags at an old job too.

Comment

I can sympathize with the fatigue thing, its an ugly beast to try to beat! Just had another MRI, a EEG, and going for a neuro psych test this week all from weakness on one side and extreme fatigue. Neuro thinks its time for me to quit working (I teach), should agree with him, however, I want it to be my idea! That makes me feel safer and in control. I'm heaving a very difficult time coming to grips with it.

Comment

Hi Marti,

Sometimes, through exercise, strength can be improved.

For the past year I have been weight training and I can lift more weight than I would have believed I could. It's not a large amount but more than I thought I would be able to do. (30lbs on the pull down bar)

I used to move very fast. Did everything quickly and did plenty of it.
        I learned a long time ago that when I get in a hurry I usually get hurt. So, I don't move fast nor quickly.

I believe fatigue creates more weakness as it takes more effort to move when fatigue sets in.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I sympathize. Hubby was highly active and worked out daily. Here we sit seven years later and he can't carry more than a bag of garbage to the rubbish bins outside. And by the time he's done he's in bed on his oxygen for several hours. It leaves him very exhausted and highly frustrated. I know it's wearing on his sense of self worth. SO sorry you're having to deal with it.

Comment

I hear you. I am still struggling to maintain some kind of fitness regimen. Once I could work out two hours a day, four to five days a week. Now if I get 40 minutes three times a week I tell myself I'm doing well. What I do is also very different, with much lower weights and at a slower pace. Again, I tell myself whatever I do is doing well ... my mantra is slow and steady wins the race ...

Comment

MY MANTRA!

My mantra is plain & simple...Keep Moving! I try not to focus on what I could do 2 years ago, 2 months ago, 2 weeks ago, or even 2 days ago! I just keep moving the best that I can, no matter how the MS presents any given day. Some days are easier than others, But I always keep moving & thank my lucky stars that most days it still works !

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post

How much weight can you lift?

135 lb... that's my butt, off the couch! You're so right about weakness and fatigue going hand in hand. I hope you regain some strength and can resume a few things you like to do.
                Jen
                RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Now I can barely take out the garbage sack. In fact, we make sure to make the bags light if I'm going to be the one taking it out. Use a lot of bags that way.

I question myself too, wondering if it's weakness or fatigue. Who knows? I get tired of trying to figure out what caused this pain , ache, or stiffness, and am I doing something wrong (i.e. posture, moving too fast) or with me I try to evaluate if it's spasticity (because I can get my pump level increased.)

But what I intended to comment on (before I went down the rabbit hole of questioning ourselves about symptoms) was I do a lot of the household chores by doing them in "spurts" or lessening a load by making multiple trips, like the garbage bags you mentioned.

I usually remember to ask my husband to take the clothes to the laundry room, but when I don't, I just take an armful out at a time. Same with putting them up, I hang up the things out of the dryer on a rack in the laundry room. Fold the rest of the things into the basket...or if I'm too fatigued, dump the "unhangables" into a basket to be folded later. All to be put away at a later time and with the help of my husbandl

Picking up is a series of spurts...make a bed...take a break. Load the dishwasher...take a break. I cook meals that way too...I could write a cookbook about how to cook "in spurts"...probably be a first, but not much market for it.

I like the feeling that I'm able to accomplish something, much less than before, but something...so I break it down into manageable chunks.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmc View Post
                    I question myself too, wondering if it's weakness or fatigue. Who knows? I get tired of trying to figure out what caused this pain , ache, or stiffness, and am I doing something wrong (i.e. posture, moving too fast) or with me I try to evaluate if it's spasticity (because I can get my pump level increased.)

But what I intended to comment on (before I went down the rabbit hole of questioning ourselves about symptoms) was I do a lot of the household chores by doing them in "spurts" or lessening a load by making multiple trips, like the garbage bags you mentioned.

I usually remember to ask my husband to take the clothes to the laundry room, but when I don't, I just take an armful out at a time. Same with putting them up, I hang up the things out of the dryer on a rack in the laundry room. Fold the rest of the things into the basket...or if I'm too fatigued, dump the "unhangables" into a basket to be folded later. All to be put away at a later time and with the help of my husbandl

Picking up is a series of spurts...make a bed...take a break. Load the dishwasher...take a break. I cook meals that way too...I could write a cookbook about how to cook "in spurts"...probably be a first, but not much market for it.

I like the feeling that I'm able to accomplish something, much less than before, but something...so I break it down into manageable chunks.

Ok. We could be living the same lives. I can usually get the laundry down the stairs, but after it's washed and dried someone else has to bring it up. I used to love to cook. Now it takes twice as long to do anything. I really think it's a combo of weakness and fatigue. Sometimes the fatigue just takes my breath away. Anything I do with my arms wears me out. That includes brushing my teeth, drying off with a towel, putting dishes away. Just the slightest things that take any energy from my arms.

I'm sure I'm a lot older than you.... I'm 63. But I was always so quick and able to do so much. I can't believe it's aging that has made these changes in me. I try to keep walking, doing stairs etc. Did some water aerobics and overdid it. Made my heart rate go up to the uncomfortable stage. I've had about 4 days of non-dizzies now. Grateful for that. Hope you get on better. I've had MS for about 12 years and am just now realizing how it can affect all of us. Guess I didn't expect these changes.
                    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Ok. We could be living the same lives. I can usually get the laundry down the stairs, but after it's washed and dried someone else has to bring it up. I used to love to cook. Now it takes twice as long to do anything. I really think it's a combo of weakness and fatigue. Sometimes the fatigue just takes my breath away. Anything I do with my arms wears me out. That includes brushing my teeth, drying off with a towel, putting dishes away. Just the slightest things that take any energy from my arms.

I'm sure I'm a lot older than you.... I'm 63. But I was always so quick and able to do so much. I can't believe it's aging that has made these changes in me. I try to keep walking, doing stairs etc. Did some water aerobics and overdid it. Made my heart rate go up to the uncomfortable stage. I've had about 4 days of non-dizzies now. Grateful for that. Hope you get on better. I've had MS for about 12 years and am just now realizing how it can affect all of us. Guess I didn't expect these changes.
                      Well Marti, we are living identical experiences it seems.

I'm at the big 6-0 and have been diagnosed for about 12 years...but symptoms go back much longer, I just didn't pay attention because they always went away.

I think I've done well with my MS but the last year has been worse than before. Seems there's never a reprieve and yet no real relapses either. Neuro took me off DMDs...so I can take the hint even though he evidently doesn't like to label patients as SPMS.

I still walk, albeit with the help of the pump, but my stamina is awful...I push myself to do things around the house. And pretty much, by nook or by crook, I get them done. Things that seemed so simple are Herculean tasks...when did taking a shower become such a chore that I literally have to psych myself up to get it done.

But outside errands I usually delegate to my hubby or go with him and make the trip short and sweet. Thank goodness for online shopping Sometimes I think I've finally convinced myself there is no virtue in trying to shop in a store, just for the sake of proving to myself I can still do it. Went Sunday with my husband to a local dept. store, which was all but empty (that cuts down on the proprioception issue.) This store provides small carts, just the right size for me to handle, and we only stayed in the store about 20 minutes, but it "done her in" ( as Eliza Doolittle would say.) Everytime I do this, I suffer for a couple days and you'd think I'd learn, but I haven't.

Well hang in there. Favorite quote from a book I read many years ago "Live the life you're trapped in." And truth is, everybody has a trap, visible or non visible, ours just happens to be MS.

Comment

Working...
                      X