Agreeing to Disagree with my Dr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreeing to Disagree with my Dr.

I've had this big discussion with my Doctor and I'm determined to still participate in my favorite activities as long as I can. Recently (well a month ago) while playing softball I stopped a line drive with my shin. Left a huge immediate bruise and about three days later I did go in and have it x-rayed, mainly because the bruise had dropped to around my ankle and was very swollen. Nothing broken or fractured. Fast forward three weeks later and I managed to slide/trip/loose balance into home plate and skinned my knee (on the same leg). I experienced immediate swelling all down the leg. I cleaned the wound and was treating it by keeping it clean, dosing it with alcohol and applying neosporin and keeping it covered. I still managed to develop a lovely little infection and back to my doctor I go. After another round of x-rays and a prescription for antibiotics, because the whole leg is swollen, still nothing broken etc.

My doctor dispproves of my playing and has suggested that I sit out the rest of the season. We talked about my pain tolerance and that he believes that since I manage through daily pain, my injury pain didn't register in the same way that "a normal person" would feel it. Yes that was his words. "Normal Person" I called him out on it and laughed it off, but he feels that if I don't recognize pain at a "normal" level that I may seriously injure myself. So I'm left wondering about the pain I feel on a daily basis. That I power through as much as I can. Where does that register on this "normal" scale and how can I explain it when I'm having those days that are unbearble to me. Grrrrr Silently Raging

Hi kcfbgirl,
    You have made a good point in your post. The answer is that you must learn to recognize your new 'normal'. Just about every day. I don't like to take my doctor's words as 'gospel', because they are, sometimes, as clueless as we are about the disease. But I am sure, your doctor wants you to protect the health that you have now. Remember that MS is fatal when it causes the body to fail in various ways. Good luck

Comment

How long is the rest of the season? How many games would you miss? Is there someone that could temporarily fill-in for you? Is this a competitive league? If so, what level? When does the next season start?

I once played multiple sports at a very high "amateur" level. For softball, I played in Men's A division. What I am trying to tell you is that "I get it."

With a bum shoulder I went to the ortho surgeon used by the University of Texas Football team. He refused to operate on me, but told me many surgeons would be happy to take my money and cut me open. His reasoning was that I wasn't making a living, nor would I ever make a true living, playing sports. That cutting me open then (1990s) would have marginal benefit and more than likely require additional surgeries down the road to remove scar tissue (if nothing else). While I hated what this doctor said, I now clearly understand he was correct.

So while this doctor may have irked you, he may actually be correct. Couple your high tolerance for pain with any lack of sensation or numbness and your body may not be able to warn you it's in distress. I'm sure your doctor has seen patients hurt themselves because pain medication was masking their pain and they engaged in risky activities. I would be grateful that your doctor cares enough to anger you when he believes your health might be in danger.

Your leg needs time to heal and if you keep aggravating the injury or the infection it could lead to more serious medical problems. A compromise might be not playing until any and all signs of bruising and infection are gone and you do not favor that leg in any manner.

I wish you a speedy recovery and many more round trips around the diamond.

Comment

Playing devil's advocate for the Dr. If you do injure yourself and say, get an infection, that infection can send you into a relapse (just like a UTI can do.)

My healthy 16 year old grand nephew is very athletic and involved with sports, but landed himself in the hospital for a week because of an injury that became infected (with MRSA)...which evidently is happening more and more athletes because MRSA has spread to the locker rooms, and sports facilities (in fact 2 of our NFL players on the local team have MRSA infections now.)

So I don't think it's the injury itself that would bother the neuro, but the consequences of the injury could lead to MS problems.

I usually give my doctor the benefit of the doubt because, well, they're my doctor. If you don't have confidence in his decisions, or opinions, maybe you should find a neuro that you can trust.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to look at it from the doctor's perspective.

Hope your wounds heal up quickly.

Comment

This reminds me of all my running friends and the conflicts they have (or don't have) with their obstetricians about running (even marathons) while pregnant.

Sometimes it is about the doctor being overly cautious and fearful and/or having antiquated ideas, but sometimes it's sound advice based on a specific situation that we need to hear.

You might get a second opinion to help you decide whether the advice you're getting is reasonable or not.

Comment

kcfbgirl, many valid issues are brought up. What concerns me is, if you don't sit it out until you are well there is every possibility this could escalate to losing your leg or life. You seem to be 'bleeding' too much. Are you taking steroids or other meds that cause bruising or 'thin' your blood.

Your body responds, as said, to this 'infection' as a war and that is enough for right now. At least, give your body time to heal.

Doubt anything would stop me from doing or playing something I enjoyed when well enough. fed

Comment

Have fun! Play your softball, should you ever NOT be able to play due to MS, you'll regret it. I think your doc is giving good advice because he is a doc, but I would still risk an infection to have fun. Infections are so treatable/curable compared to MS.
              Jen
              RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
              "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Hello kcfbgirl,

It's softball, right? From what I recall about my baseball playing days, now some 30 years ago, these things happen.

I applaud you for still being able to continue playing!
                2011 - DX RRMS
                Taking Betaseron since June 2011

Comment

I am also going to play Devils Advocate. I too was very athletic. I was a big time runner. If doc said no...that meant no. No ifs, ands, or buts...was not going to jeopardize any future running.

So, please get a second opinion. If you don't sit out the season, you might not be playing ever again, MS or no MS.

BTW...I agree with your philosophy in doing things while you can. You go girl! I was only 3 weeks out from running the Air Force Marathon with a reasonable shot of taking my age group and a flare took my ability to run away from me...permanently. But that we have no control over. Please let a flare take away your ability, if it even ever comes down to that. Don't let it be YOU...that is a much harder pill to swallow. IMHO.
                  Katie
                  "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                  "My MS is a Journey for One."
                  Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts. I am still mulling it over. We have this one last game Friday, before play-offs. We are definitely already in those. I've set an appointment with my Neuro, it's my GP that is adament about my sitting out.

Comment

I'm sorry about your injuries, I know about pain tolerance,but I do think the infection puts a different "spin" on it. I know you want to play,can you really not think how you might make it worse?
                      2yrs.ago I had an injection site reaction,that left me w/ an infection that was eating at my skin,it took 3mo.toheal w/ daily trips to the wound care center.
                      I was left w/ a huge scar & not allowed to take my DMD that I had been on for 13yrs.Long story I'm now on no meds & have slipped into SPMS.
                      Please think about this very carefully,keep us posted
                      God Bless Nona.

Comment

kcfbgirl - since you are already in the playoffs maybe rule out the next game and then reassess afterwards.

I would encourage you to keep playing as long as you can and as long as softball doesn't pose a greater risk to the other aspects of your life.

Comment

Well I saw my Nuero and discussed my lack of sensation and pain tolerance. My infection is gone and the swelling is down, but i'm still bruised. After a lengthy discussion and reviewing my x-rays from the GP's, she agreed that playing would be ok, with some concessions. I'll trade in my shorts for some actual pants and sliding shorts and since I play second I'll wear some shin-gaurds for the remainder of the season. I'm still learning to accept this "normal" I guess. I realize I am blessed and I appreciate every moment, I just want to breathe it all in now.......in this moment in time, in this chapter of my life I get to still have a little control.

Comment

Wonderful news ... enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                            X