Loss of taste??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of taste??

Morning!! Anyone else had a loss of taste? I have this metal taste in my mouth and cannot enjoy food or drinks like I used to be able to... No, no new meds... Just slowly happened this past Saturday and now nothing.. no matter what I eat or drink, it tastes gross.. coming from a big girl, this sucks.. I enjoy food way to much to have this for a long time. hahaha

Welcome LilMonstersMomma to MS World! I have had that loss of taste, its weird, and the metallic taste is awesome! You most likely had it on one side of your tongue, and can't tell. It comes from a lesion in the brainstem, and effects one side or the other depending on which side the lesion is on.

You should probably call your neurologist if this is the first time this has happened to you. It may be followed by other new symptoms. Anyway, it is probably a new lesion and thus an exacerbation. Some IVSM will take care of the loss of taste.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thanks!

I just put a call in to my neurologist... This is horrible!! I can't eat/drink anything cause it all tastes awful!

Yes, this is the first time it has happened. I was just diagnosed back in Dec 2012 and only had one flare up/attack since.

Comment

I'm glad I came to check about something new I have been experiencing and whether it can be MS related or just something else. I hate MS for that reason. I have been experiencing nausea for over a week and I can't taste anything and what I used to like doesn't taste like anything. Nothing seems to help and even finding something to drink is hard. Anything sweet is terrible. I try to drink water but it even has a funny taste.

Comment

I lost my sense of taste for around six weeks in the spring ... just to encourage you it did come back (over the period of three wonderful days -- such a drag to eat when everything tastes like sawdust).

Comment

Mee too!!!!

Just got off the phone with my neurologist's office (she is out today) and was told to call my family physician... ugh!!!

Comment

No, they (the staff and nurses) don't know what they are talking about. Call back tomorrow and tell them you are having loss of taste on one side of your tongue. They will get it. Stab each side with your fingernail and see if you have decreased sensation on one side or the other...you probably do, and add that too. Make sure you don't have loss of sensation on one side of the gums or the other. Just check, its hard to know until you check it, but numb here or there is always neurology.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes, OK?

Lisa
              Moderation Team
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

It's been over 5 months for me...some taste and smell are back...only lasts for a couple bites, then goes away...I have to keep switching "flavors"...some days I get so frustrated (great for weight loss!) but other times I keep eating thinking "maybe i will taste the next bite". I am grateful at least a little came back...you don't realize how taste and smell can impact your quality of life!

Comment

Working...
                X