Connecting the dots has caused grief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting the dots has caused grief

I recently began a thread "should I suspect ms?" In it, I listed a summary of some symptoms that have made me suspicious over the past year or so. I have since connected some dots in past symptoms I've had. I'm struggling physically and most definitely emotionally right now, and because of lack of insurance, I'm very overwhelmed with all of it - especially the lack of means to get diagnosed.

My most bothersome symptoms have been muscle spasms, tingling numbness in fingers, burning/weakness in legs, swallowing (this has become a huge issue and I've been slowly losing weight the last few months and am constantly coughing), trouble emptying bladder, constipation, extreme fatigue.

The recent connections I've made are these:
    In researching, I had seen the "ms hug" in lists of symptoms and didn't think anything of it. While driving home from work last week, it dawned on me that I needed to find descriptions of what it felt like. Since before I was 10 years old, I have often gotten a feeling of tightness around my chest (as if something were tied around me and tightened), and in waves, an intense stabbing pain beneath my left lower ribs causing me to only be able to take shallow breaths. Because this is something I've always lived with, I didn't take it into account in considering everything that has been going on with me more recently.
    Also, I got in a car accident two years ago and had many of the same symptoms, but with more cognitive and balance issues. A chiropractor I saw even told me he thought I had symptoms of ms, he also thought I had a fractured vertebrae (which I didn't), so I dismissed his opinion and never went back or thought twice about what he said. I went to a neuro who said I probably just had damage done to the nervous system on a microscopic level that would just take time to heal. In a few months, most of the symptoms went away, so I assumed she was right.

With the connection of these things, I feel more confident that I probably do have ms, but have tried to put off really dealing w the emotional aspects of it until I can get diagnosed. As of a couple nights ago, it seems that's no longer possible. I have begun to grieve the life I had planned to have and have been an emotional basket case. It feels healthy and relieving, however, I wish there was a way I could postpone all of this until I figure out finances/insurance. I don't really know what answers I'm looking for in this post, other than to hear if anyone else has similar stories. I know nobody can diagnose, it seems even doctors have a hard enough time doing that, but I feel that it might help me emotionally to hear if other people have gone through similar realizations and frustrations.
    Thanks.

" an intense stabbing pain beneath my left lower ribs causing me to only be able to take shallow breaths. "

I had a stabbing pain also, it was in my left side near my heart. I never thought anything of it until now.
    As far as the grief goes, I think that is something the majority of MSers go through. We just all go thru varying degrees of it.
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

It seems that what I've experienced most of my life is very similar to many other people's experience of the ms hug. I think that realization is what pushed me into dealing with things on an emotional level, despite a diagnosis, since the evidence seems to be mounting.
      It's difficult to be at a place where I feel the necessity of disclosing my health issues to people (because it makes work, being a mother, and even a good friend more difficult), but not actually having a diagnosis, because mean people don't understand. Especially when you look healthy and are young.
      Thanks for your reply

Comment

^ Some people* not mean people ^

Comment

When I was about nine my left hand felt as though the bones were on the surface and my hand was numb at night for weeks. Being a child, I thought it was just nightmares.

That's now the dud side. (Didn't think it was MS, but in retrospect...) Trust your feelings.
          You don't have to tell anyone anything until you're ready. Have you had a MRI?

Comment

Beth

MS has so many different symptoms and most of those symptoms can be caused by something else.

For example, I had those stabbing pains in my ribs for a few weeks, two years in a row. I could barely breath. I finally went to the doc thinking it was the MS Hug, but it wasn't. I had Pleurisy. I in fact so far have never had the hug, knock on wood.

What you need darling is to get to a doctor and get some answers, because the googling symptoms just make people anxious and depressed.

Are you eligible for Medicaid or is there a free clinic in your area. Call your local Social Services to see what programs in your area can help you.

Best Regards.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I had an MRI two years ago because of a car accident. Obviously, the neuro didn't think I had MS, but they also weren't considering that as an option.

I make around 400/month too much to be eligible for Medicaid. I will start making calls this week and see what I can find out about other free/low cost clinics, etc.

Thank you all for your helpful answers.

Comment

Working...
              X