Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any drummers in the audience ?

Hello,

I was diagnosed with MS a few years back and up until recently, have not had any issues with playing.
    Then one practice, i started experiencing a loss of co-ordination when playing faster songs. It was as if i was back to square one; learning how to play again. My kick drum technique was sloppy and all over the place. No matter how hard i concentrated, i couldn't make that foot play properly (The slower songs were no problem).

I'm curious if there is anyone out there who may have been experiencing the same type of symptoms.

Regards,
    J.

Not a drummer. Used to be quite a good piano player, not any more.

I'm finding the same sort of trouble with touch-typing. If I try to type as quickly as once I could, the wrong finger hits the key so even though the letters are all there, the spelling is abysmal.

Comment

Not a Drummer, but, as a Juggler, I completely get the hand/eye/rhythm coordination you speak of.

Juggling, like drumming is highly reliant on keeping time. . . I noticed over the past few years my ability to keep time (and clubs in the air) was diminishing (all pre diagnosis) I also noted that the more complicated the music, the more off my timing. Over the past 3 years I've pretty much let go of Juggling, in part because my arms get tired too fast to go more than a couple of minutes, (I used to play for hours) plus, looking up makes me woozie. I also found it infinitely frustrating to be losing pace with the beats.

There is a band here in Canada called "Billy Talent", the drummer of that band (Aaron Solowoniuk) has MS (he started a youth MS site attached to the Canadian MS society site. . . someonelikeme.com).

If its any comfort at all, he's still playing with the band, I think his Dx is about 10 or 12 years old now.

Rock on.
      “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
      ~ Mark Twain . . .Or a typo on the Internet. Srsly.

Comment

I'm a former bass player. Played for 40+ years. I can't put my fingers on the correct strings, at all. My fingers won't go where they are supposed to go. No 'fine motor skill'. That's a part of my life that MS has 'stolen'.

Comment

Working...
        X