Solumedrol and insomnia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solumedrol and insomnia?

I'm 23 post first relapse I have had to take Ambien to sleep since. I had 5 days of high dose solumedrol, is this the solumedrol related to the insomnia or is my brain just not recovered or something? I have no problem napping throughout the day.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Insomnia might be the #2 side effect of Solu-Medrol, second only to general hyperactivity/agitation, which causes the insomnia. Welcome to Solu-Medrol!

If you aren't sleeping well at night you might be tired enough to nap during the day. Which might mean that you aren't sleepy enough at night. My sleep patterns are screwed up for about a week after I do steroids. The part of your insomnia that's related to Solu-Medrol will straighten out in a week or so. If you still have night time insomnia after that, that part isn't from the Solu-Medrol.

Comment

I took 2 tylenol pm the first week I had solumedrol, went down to 1 tylenol pm and then benedryl each night for a month after.
      Not sure if that is an option for you or if it would work for you but it helped me.

Comment

Originally posted by kriscake View Post
        I took 2 tylenol pm the first week I had solumedrol, went down to 1 tylenol pm and then benedryl each night for a month after.
        Not sure if that is an option for you or if it would work for you but it helped me.
        I have tried 2 tyl pm, I slep for 30 min and was wide awake.

Comment

Hi QL,
          To beat insomnia create your sleeping schedule and avoid taking naps in day timings. Try to relax before going to bed and create a restful sleeping environment. Manage stress with regular workout and prefer doing morning exercises. Be modest about food and drinks and avoid stimulants before bedtime.

Comment

I was warned about it, but I didn't experience insomnia when I was in the hospital for 5 days getting pumped full of SM. But then - my dose was at night and at the same time I was given a Klonipin and baclafen, so maybe they knocked me out. The Klonipin totally zombified me - I hated it. I stopped taking it when I got home, but started taking Valium because I would get panic attacks at night as I was trying to fall asleep. The doctor offered me Xanax but I like to stick with drugs that have worked for me in the past, and Valium helps me sleep and doesn't leave me groggy in the a.m. I think Xanax is quite similar - maybe stronger?

I've never tried Ambien. My sleep problems have always been from my mind just not shutting up and having some anxiety, so some kind of benzo has always worked better for me. And being diagnosed with MS will give most people some anxiety. Maybe ask your doc what he/she thinks.
            No sir, I don't like it.
            Diagnosed August 30, 2013.

Comment

I couldn't sleep while on Solu-medrol and for several days following. Ambien was the only thing that helped. After a few days, I was able to sleep normally again. Be sure to get off Ambien as soon as possible.
              RRMS since July 2010.

Comment

Working...
              X