Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing copaxone on a plane?

Hi everyone~
    I'm going to be flying in October and will be bringing my Copaxone with me. Do I need a doctor's note? The original box with the rx info? Do I need to store it in my suitcase or can I put it in a carry on bag?
    Thanks for the info!

You should always travel with medication in/with the prescription box/bottle. Never, ever, check medication in your luggage; always carry it on. I've had several instances during my frequent travels when my bags have taken three days to catch up with me. In addition, luggage spaces are not heated/pressurized, so medication may freeze.

Comment

I recommend that you bring the original box and store it in your carry on. Before you go through security take it out of your carry on and request that the copaxone gets inspected by hand instead of going through the x-ray machine.

I have done this many times and I have not had any issues.

Have a good trip

Comment

The makers of copax will send you a little travel case to put it in for free if you call them and ask for it. You should bring your medicine in a carry on so you'll have it with you if your luggage gets lost. In order to take the syringes on the plane you just have to have the prescription with you. You can just cut off the top of one of the boxes with the info on it. You don't have to use the travel case but it is helpful because it has a little window in it that the box top fits into and it comes with an ice pack. The case is not that large though, I could fit about 10 doses in mine along with the little ice pack.
        You can't stop washing your feet just because you're afraid you'll fall in the shower.

Comment

No problem with carry on

I just recently traveled from Denver to Delaware. I used the travel pack shared solutions gave me. I placed the info that was delivered with the copaxone in the case. I DID NOT check it. Had no problems at all from either airport. Was not even asked about it. I kept it in my carry on bag and open the bag before they scanned it. Hope you have a nice trip!
          Leave the Heat and Stress for the birds!

Comment

Copaxone

My MS clinic actually gave me a typed letter with my name, my neurologist's name, the reason for my Copaxone, and what exactly was in the little travel case. Surprisingly, bot times I flew nobody even asked me any questions at all! Even though it was in my carry on.

Comment

In the last year I have flown within the continental US and to Hawaii, carrying my injections in a small plastic bag, with a doctor's letter about the medicine (Rebif), in my pocketbook/purse. When I proactively attempted to show the TSA person the syringes, each time I was waved on and told that they "see shots all the time" and aren't worried about them. Actually, carrying my medicine with me was the easiest part of any of the flights I took!

Comment

Carry it with you. You can keep Copaxone at room temp, but the cargo hold can get too hot.

Have fun.

Comment

Great tips here.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the great info! I feel much better about this now since I was so worried that it would be a big deal...

Comment

Read through this. These are the rules from the TSA. You can bring your medication with you. The TSA does not require you to keep it in its labelled Rx bottle, but a state law may vary. Just keep it in its original Rx packaging to be safe. If you want to be safe and keep it cool with an ice pack, you can. All the rules and explanations on how to go about bringing ice packs, needles, meds, and all things that are otherwise prohibited but excepted due to medical condition are explained on the website. You do not have to have it x-rayed. You have to declare what you have, and if you choose for them to hand check it, just tell them that's what you want done. Keep it all separate so you can just pull it out of your carry-on. If for any reason, they decide that you need a pat down, it's not bad. I've gone through a machine that only gives a Gumby-like outline of the body, and I went through one pat down. No issues with either, and the woman who did the pat down was very respectful, and we just chatted the whole time - which wasn't long. And frankly, if you end up with someone who seems a little light in the brain department on how to handle you, ask for a boss. I'd even just print out some of the rules form the TSA's site and present it.

Okay, it won't let me post the URL. So, go to www.tsa.gov then on the right side of the screen is a box with "When I Fly, Can I Bring My...?" Below that are a few links that must be the most popular searches. One of them is "Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions." Click on that. There is some info, and then at the bottom of the page are many links to various issues. You will find all the info you need.

Comment

I also used the hard case travel kit, with the box top placed

In the holder on the outside of the container so the RX could be seen.

Shared solutions also sent me a needle clipper thing which worked great to hold the sharp needles so I could safely dispose of the syringe part with no worries.

I carried it on the plane without any problems whatsoever.

I made sure to carry a couple of extra shots just in case bad weather delayed my getting back home.

Comment

Working...
                        X