SERIOUS QUESTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SERIOUS QUESTION

HI.....HOW DO I TALK TO MY PARENTS ABUT EVERYTHING I'M GOING THROUGH WITH OUT HURTING THEIR FEELINGS?

just tell them you need a listening non judgemental ear and that nothing you tell them is meant to hurt their feelings...and go from there ya know.

Comment

why do you think you would hurt their feelings? I agree, start with that you in no way want to hurt their feelings, but you need to be able to talk to them to get things off your chest. It is not healthy to keep things bottled up! Are there other people you can talk to? how about writing a letter and in it explain that you really need to talk to them about everything......best to you
      dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

I would begin with praising them for being loving and caring parents, that you can never repay their generosity and how much you appreciate that you and your daughter live in a caring home with them.

In a non-judgmental approach, explain that there are things on your mind, weighing heavy on your heart that you would like to discuss with them. For example, how weird a disease MS is, not easily understood by others looking on, you forgive them for not fully understanding this weird, unpredictable disease because you don't always understand it yourself.

Explain how you feel, for example 'I feel like a burden, a bit disposable, always in the way and overlooked", substitute my example with your own feelings.

While that may not be how they feel about you, it is how you feel, and you are sorry for feeling that way.

Your parents are probably older and everything can so much more difficult on them. Multi-generational homes can be very difficult for everyone.

On a personal note, I love you for your determination to get things on track with your parents and your daughter. It's difficult even when MS is not the issue.

Sorry if I over stepped any boundries and for the length of this reply. Take good care of yourself.

Comment

RESPONSE

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTION....AND I DON'T FEEL )

Comment

Have you tried

You don't know where you livebut if you have an MS society in your area they may be able to provide a telephone peer counseling. Ask them.

Comment

Originally posted by diguilio View Post
              THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTION....AND I DON'T FEEL )
              You do feel...otherwise you would not care about hurting their feelings and it is apparent that you do. I would write everything down that you want to say and read it to them.
              Katie
              "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
              "My MS is a Journey for One."
              Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
              X