Bad Experience With Local MS Chapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Experience With Local MS Chapter

I live in Portland OR and The Nat'l MS Soc Oregon chapter is in Portland. Lucky for me. EXCEPT the person maning the phone and office, Kim, does not want to do anything for MSers or anyone else unless they are asking about Bike MS Oregon. I have a bunch of stuff to donate - YES, DONATE - to the chapter. I live by myself and my son and his family are here for July visiting from Taiwan.
    I am having him do some odd jobs for me - cleaning my air filter, flipping my mattress, cleaning my garage, taking my donated MS stuff downtown. I do not drive, I do not walk, I am 66 and I have no use anymore for two walkers, a bed railing, 2 transfer boards, canes, shower seat, steps and such. I called the local office after getting the number on line from the MS Soc. I went through many options, including several giveme money ones and Bike MS before getting a live person, which was a call center in Denver.
    After calling another number and listening to giveme junk again I finally got Kim in Portland. By then I could hardly hold the phone anymore cause arm doesn't work well.
    Now we have Kim who wasn't interested in anything of mine. My only question was where do I (or my son) take the donated items? The office? Was told FIRST what was I donating and SECOND was it worth it. Could send a truck. Now-----was it really a good use of your resources to send a truck to pick up stuff that could be put in the back seat of a car.? Then told maybe wait until late August until BIKE MS was over. She would call me. So tired of Bike MS.
    Of cource by then my son would be gone and I would have to hire a driver to take the stuff downtown. I still was never told if donated things went to the office. And I sure don't want to talk with Kim again. Sure wish I could find another body to talk to. Anyone else have a problem with their local MS chapter?

I was sure they wouldn't post this, and instead answer my questions privately. Didn't. I don't expect any replies.

Comment

Maybe you should give folks a little time to answer your query. This board does not enable a PM (Private Message) type of private answer.

Many members here do report good experiences with their local chapters, but there may be others who have had "problems."

Personally, my local chapter has been helpful when I have called them with questions. Also, there may be others besides MSers who could use the items you mention you have available for donation. I have donated things through Good Will, and in my area, they did offer to send a truck on certain schedules, say once every 3 months or so.

Also, your local Area Agency on Aging might have some advice on where to donate.

Comment

I agree with onlyairfare. There are other places that will take those donations. Not just MS chapters. Good Will is a place to start. Salvation Army is another.

Try the human services directory.

Comment

Working...
        X