Tysabri and surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tysabri and surgery

Is anyone on Tysabri and had surgery? Seems so unsafe to me but my neuro said it would not be a problem. I think he just wants me on the tysabri and will say anything.
    Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Kat, are you on Tysabri right now?

If so, I wouldn't think you would want to deal with the stress of surgery and the possible stress of MS rebound by discontinuing Tysabri.

Perhaps, you are thinking that you would be more susceptible to an infection? Seems theoretically possible. But personally, I don’t believe it would make a huge difference if someone had an operation while on Tysabri but I'm only guessing.

If I was concerned I suppose scheduling the operation in the last two weeks rather than the first two weeks after a Tysabri infusion might help fight off a potential infection. The serum concentration of Tysabri lessens over time (that’s why infusions are frequent) so the immune system should be less suppressed the further from infusion. Though reasonable, that is only my opinion.

You asked an interesting question I haven’t heard discussed before. I’m sure there are some on Tysabri who have had operations so let us know your experience, if you will.

Comment

Yes, I had a lumpectomy while on Ty. It was not a problem at all. My ms spec said that it wouldn't and he was right. No problems. Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Comment

Not on anything right now. My doctor wants me on some kind of medication, I had a relapse recently. I was thinking of going through the HSCT, but I really want my stomach fixed. People think I am unreasonable or silly to want my stomach fixed when I have MS. But my stomach is deformed AND I haved a huge keloid scar that is painful on top of it all. After having 3 csections and now questioning the skill of the GYN's surgical skills. At any rate it's depressing me and I desperately want it fixed.
        Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

Working...
        X