Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise and MS

Hi all,

Is it safe to exercise while having a flare?? If I'm able to tolerate the temperature increase from the exercise, I'd like to continue my usual routine. Last week I started developing double vision and now feel drunk. I saw the eye doc who said to go to my neuro, which I haven't done yet.

Also, anyone ever hear of weight training causing a flare? I was in a period of remission and feeling pretty good so I had decided to start some weight training and after two weeks *bam* I start into this latest flare. My husband thought it may be the exercise???

any thoughts?

VikingKitty: The weight training probably didn't cause the flare, it was most likely coming on anyway. Doing exercise during a flare is entirely up to you and how you feel. It can increase your temperature which could make you feel worse. In your particular case, with the double vision and "drunk" feeling, it might not be wise to exercise now as you might get hurt. After seeing or talking to your neurologist, and possibly starting some IVSM, you can then start back your exercise regimen when you are feeling a bit better.

Hoping you will feel better soon!

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Nah, won't have caused the flare. To be honest, the whole "exercise, exercise, exercise" thing drives me stupid. I can hardly hobble 20 yards. I think it's bollocks. It's all luck.
      If you're fit enough, go for your life. Still think it's neither here nor there in the long term.
      Also, if you are in the middle of a flare - would you go pump iron if you had the 'flu?

Comment

Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
        VikingKitty: The weight training probably didn't cause the flare, it was most likely coming on anyway. Doing exercise during a flare is entirely up to you and how you feel. It can increase your temperature which could make you feel worse. In your particular case, with the double vision and "drunk" feeling, it might not be wise to exercise now as you might get hurt. After seeing or talking to your neurologist, and possibly starting some IVSM, you can then start back your exercise regimen when you are feeling a bit better.

Hoping you will feel better soon!

Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Thanks Lisa...My doc doesn't like giving the steroids for flares unless unable to walk.. I've never had them for the other flares, although last Sept I wanted to. That's when my Dr. advised against it unless I was unable to walk.

Comment

Working...
        X