My whole arm went numb today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My whole arm went numb today

I've been having some numbness and tinging that is off and on for a while now, but it normally only lasts short periods and is exaggerated when I bend my head down. This is always my right hand. I've woken up a couple mornings (at least a month ago the last time) where my hand was pretty tingly and even my arm felt funny, as if it was almost detached from my body (don't know how else to explain it), but that only lasted a couple minutes each time and then it was back to my normal.

Today my right hand started getting very tingly (the most I've ever felt) and my whole arm felt very weird and tingly as well. It really was like it was detached from my body. I could still move everything, but it was very awkward. There was no loss of strength either, but it was so intense, it totally freaked me out. I pretty much refused to move my arm until it had subsided enough that it was what I'm used to. Today it took a while to go away though, and that is unusual as well. I'm not sure how long it was, but it was probably around an hour or so. Usually the more intense tingling I get only lasts a few minutes before it subsides some. Most of this time wasn't that horrible intense feeling like when this episode first started, but that whole hour, it was more intense than what I'm used to.

Is this something I should be worried about? I'm fine now, but it really scared me since I haven't felt anything so intense before. I also wondered, could it possibly be exaggerated by a lack of sleep. I haven't slept well at all this past week and I noticed yesterday in my workout that my body just couldn't handle what it normally can, and I'm thinking that had to be related to the lack of sleep. I do know the past few nights, I've only gotten around 5 hours of sleep each night, and I normally get 8 hours. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since it's not like I have a doctor I can rely on when things happen.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Istrl: You should call your neurologist on Monday and let them know what is going on. It may be an exacerbation of one of your cervical lesions. If it is bothering you over the weekend, go to the ER and have them call your Dr. They can initiate treatment (MRI, steroids etc.)

Let us know how it goes, OK?

Take care,
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

It hasn't happened again, so I'd rather wait to see if it does it another time before calling anyone. My neuro isn't exactly concerned about his patients, so I'd rather not talk to him if I don't have to.

Last night was my first night back home in my own bed after a week and I did sleep much better (just over 8 hours instead of the typical 5-6 I've been getting the past week). I'm going to do everything as I normally would and see how I handle my Zumba class today. I've had exaggerated symptoms before from exhaustion (my balance was horrible and I had to keep grabbing the walls), and by the next day, I was perfectly fine. I'm hoping that is all it was this time.
      Diagnosed 1/4/13

Comment

If you are able to get a new doctor I would suggest it. If not, demand the care you pay for.

Comment

I did go ahead and send a message to my dr last night asking about what happened and he's thinking that it was a pseudo-exacerbation possibly related to heat or stress and not to be too worried unless it happens again. In that case, he'll put me on a course of steroids.

I will be looking into getting a new doctor, but not until I can get different insurance. I'm pretty limited with the insurance I have right now, so I'm not even going to bother looking for anyone else just yet. At least with this doctor, if something does happen, he will get me in immediately. My last neuro's office wouldn't get me in for 3 months even though I was having a serious flare.
          Diagnosed 1/4/13

Comment

Working...
          X