Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

double vision in one eye

Hi guys and ladies,

It must be that time of the year for me....I suppose I'm having another flare...I've not experienced this before and wonder and figure that this is an MS symptom...Anyone ever have double vision in just one eye? -- whenever I look to the right I get double vision...I can look up, down & to the left without trouble...I went to my chiropractor today hoping that it's just a vertabre out of place (I'm always hoping for something other than an MS flare) -- Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Generally speaking double vision in one eye is a problem with the eye and not with MS. Meaning a refractory (glasses) problem. However, if your other eye is paralyzed and not moving to the side you see double on, it could be an MS problem, and you may only see double in that eye, or it could be masked in the paralyzed eye (not common).

The best thing to do is to go see your ophthalmologist and get evaluated. They can tell the difference between refractory problems and CNS problems with the eye.

Good luck! Hope you feel better!

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Lisa for the quick response...I'll have to get in contact with the opthamologist.

Comment

Double vision in my right eye and unusual noises in my right ear were my first ms symptoms. Had I gone to a neurologist first I would not have wasted so much time.

I would not assume anything.

J
        Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Yes! I have exactly the same thing. I feel like I am constantly winking at strangers! I have talked to both my Neurologist and my Opthamologist about it. Neither confirmed MS was the cause but neither said it wasn't. My Opthamologist said he sees the eye tracking incorrectly when I look right. Still not sure what is causing it.... When I am fatigued or over-heated, I find that my vision is double not only when I look right. That makes me believe ... MS. It is the reason I have quit driving as well.
          Hope you find something out - please share!

Comment

First I agree that you have to go and see your ophthalmologist to find out what's going on.

Second it doesn't sound like you have double vision in one eye. If your vision goes double only when you look to the right then it sounds like regular double vision where your eyes aren't working together and your getting one image from one eye and one image from the other eye. That's double vision from two eyes not just one.

You can check this out for yourself. Look to the right until you get double vision. Keep looking that way and cover one eye. Does the double vision go away?

Uncover that eye. Does the double vision come back?

Keep looking to the right and cover the other eye. Does the double vision go away? The uncover the second eye. Does the double vision go away?

From your description it sounds like it does. That's double vision from two eyes because it takes two eyes open to give two images and it goes away when you cover one eye and are looking through only one. If you had double vision in only one eye you would be able to cover the other eye and you would still have double vision with only one eye open. If you have to have both eyes open to get double vision it's not in one eye.

The ophthalmologist will do that test with you anyway but you can try it yourself while your waiting for your appointment.

Comment

I had severe double vision with my first recognizable flare. It was so bad I felt like I was hallucinating. The doubles were walking through each and walls when I looked at things close by. Things that were far away had doubles at what seemed like 40 ft away. When I closed one eye and everything was normal.

It is my right eye that is the problem and everything except when looking to my far right is back to normal. Its kind of strange because the rest of my symptoms were from my chin down and on the left side. From the chin it up its my right side.

Comment

Originally posted by MSwhileOverseas View Post
                Its kind of strange because the rest of my symptoms were from my chin down and on the left side. From the chin it up its my right side.
                The nervous system is wired kind of strange. Things are wired in halves. The nerves from each half of the body cross over to the other side at the brain stem. The right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body. But nerves coming out of the brain stem and above it affect their own same side of the head and body.

So if there's a problem with eye muscles the lesion is on the same side. But for a problem with say a leg the lesion would be on the same side of the body if its in the spinal cord but on the other side of the body if its in the brain. Things get more complicated if the lesion is right in the middle and covers nerves from both sides of the body at the same time so we won't go there.

Comment

Yes, the double vision would be in from the two eyes...I guess I just didn't think it through....I did the test and yes, the double vision goes away whenever I cover either eye. I'm also having some pain it feels like in my eye muscles behind my eye. I also forgot to mention that I've been nauseous (probably from my eyes not aligning properly) and a bit of dizziness.

I did make an appointment for Tuesday to see the eye doc.

Comment

eye exam

well, i had my eye exam today. There isn't anything wrong with my eyes themselves and had a field vision test also which returned pretty good results (no major problems) she is figuring that it is a "flare" and referred me to my neuro for another mri. had one last year confirming MS.

I guess that'll be my next step is to look into getting another mri. I'm sure the neuro will again recommend getting on meds. he'd suggested copaxone last year which i didn't start because i wasn't too thrilled with the potential side effects...anyone else on copaxone ??? any success stories?? or bad side effects??

Comment

I took Copaxone for years, loved it. No side effects here other than the injection site reactions. But you learn tricks to get around those. You really should think about getting on a medication.

Good luck!
                      Lisa
                      Moderation Team
                      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                      Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                      X