Walk Aide???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walk Aide???

My mother has severe foot drop and really wants a walk aide but can't afford the $10,000 it would cost. No one will help her...the NMSS wil give her a very small amount towards it but she'd have to find a way to get the rest. Does anyone know where she could go to purchase a used set???

They make less expensive AFO (ankle foot orthotic) devices that work just as well as the walkaide. I wanted a biometrics device that is similar to the walkaide, but could not afford it, so had to settle for a simple AFO that just lifts my toe. There are tons of different designs. Her physical therapist should be able to fit her with all of the different kinds. Mine was about 1K, but my insurance paid for it. If not, the NMSS should be able to cover the difference.

Talk to your physical therapist about the alternatives. There are several. They are not as cool, but they work just the same.

Take care, and let us know how it goes.

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Lisa. Unfortunately I am trying to help her from across the country and the place she was sent to try it on is far from friendly or helpful. They have not offered her any alternatives and the NMSS said they will only be able to give her $500. Out of $10,000. I'm disappointed because I've raised a lot of money for them over the years but I also understand that they probably have a lot of requests for assistance and in order to help everyone they have to set limits. Just a crummy situation.

Comment

Yes, I understand completely. I have raised a ton of money for the NMSS too, and have my own issues with them. As for the people taking care of your loved one, they will push for the most effective and most expensive item. They did that with me until I just said look I can't afford this! So you may have to just call the PT operation who is pushing this and they will quickly back down and go into the alternatives that are affordable. It just takes a phone call from you. I would try if I were you. It is totally worth it.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes, OK?

Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

Thank you so much, Lisa. I will keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Nay91400 View Post
            Thanks Lisa. Unfortunately I am trying to help her from across the country and the place she was sent to try it on is far from friendly or helpful. They have not offered her any alternatives and the NMSS said they will only be able to give her $500. Out of $10,000. I'm disappointed because I've raised a lot of money for them over the years but I also understand that they probably have a lot of requests for assistance and in order to help everyone they have to set limits. Just a crummy situation.
            I bought one new from UCSF in San Francisco 18 months ago for about $5,000 which included setting it up. I was able to rent one to see if it worked for me for about 400/month which was credited when I bought the unit.

Sometimes used Walkaides show up on ebay or craigslist.

No matter how you buy it you need a trained staffer to program it.

I find it works pretty well when the gel pads are kept damp. It can be tiring when one starts using it.

Comment

Working...
            X