Wasp sting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasp sting

I have been doing really, really well for about a year now. Not diagnosed with MS, but all my doctors thought that was what was going on. Last year, I started eating healthy, lost 70 lbs, got my Vitamin D levels up, went off of diet sodas and aspartame, and have felt better than I have in years, since all the nutty symptoms started in 2006.

Until this afternoon around 1 p.m. when I was stung on the finger by a wasp. It hurt like heck, of course, and I put some vinegar on it. But now, I'm having buzzing sensations in one spot on the same arm as the finger I was stung on, I'm having waves of buzzing sensations over my scalp, and my opposite hand and knee are hurting, all things that happen when I have my semi-annual flare ups in spring and fall.

Could getting stung by a wasp cause this? Hopefully it doesn't last too long, but sure feels weird right now!
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Shashi, I believe that yes, a wasp sting could cause your sx.

Wasp stingers are longer & stronger than a bee plus their poison is stronger (learned this when my dad almost lost his life to a well-placed wasp sting 2 yrs ago).

Keep an eye on it & if necessary head to the nearest ER or call 9-1-1. If you don't feel you need that level of care a quick visit to your PCP may be needed tomorrow. Wasp stings aren't to be trifled with!
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Originally posted by Toomnyhats View Post
      Keep an eye on it & if necessary head to the nearest ER or call 9-1-1. If you don't feel you need that level of care a quick visit to your PCP may be needed tomorrow. Wasp stings aren't to be trifled with!
      My thoughts exactly, Shashi! Hope you take care and keep us informed~
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

That sting is making your immune system react, in some way. I am not a doctor, but it stands to reason that anything that makes the immune system activate can produce some reactions in an already compromised system. I don't have any suggestions for you. I hope that you get some from somewhere. Good luck

Comment

I think if you consider that one of the purposes of wasp venom is to paralyze its prey then it probably isn't a surprise that some people might have a neurological response to it. The other purpose of wasp venom is to irritate other animals to show them that they shouldn't mess with it. It sounds like that happened too.

Comment

OUCH!! Sounds like its causing "inflammation" and THAT is causing your neurological/neuropathy type symptoms.

Feel better soon hon

Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Did you try some Benedryl last night to help your body to respond to the sting? That might help!

Comment

Thanks everyone. The initial symptoms (buzzing and joint pain) did go away yesterday, then in the evening, a major headache started. By the time I got home from work, I was also having bad spasms in my feet to the point of my toes trying to curl under. Ouch!!

I did take some Benadryl and it helped. Nothing weird going on today, so maybe it's over. I hope so!

Hugs to all.
                Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Benadryl

I totally agree that benadryl is the way to go! At the worst it will help you sleep through the pain

Comment

Working...
                  X