Soldiering on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldiering on

I thought KateAgain might like this, being a veteran and all.

Yesterday the lovely old WWII veteran who gave me an arm to cling to at a funeral a few week's ago introduced me to an even older friend of his.

I shall never complain again (well, I will, but his story put things in perspective for me).

He's 94, and spent three years as a Japanese POW.

He had a hellish experience, lost 7 stone, but survived because he could shoe horses and look after chooks. He'd steal the odd egg for a sick mate, get a beating and carry on.

(He didn't tell me the story.)

He came home, had a family - wife and two children now deceased, and still lives on his old dairy farm.

I've decided it's sometimes braver to keep living.

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
    I thought KateAgain might like this, being a veteran and all.

Yesterday the lovely old WWII veteran who gave me an arm to cling to at a funeral a few week's ago introduced me to an even older friend of his.

I shall never complain again (well, I will, but his story put things in perspective for me).

He's 94, and spent three years as a Japanese POW.

He had a hellish experience, lost 7 stone, but survived because he could shoe horses and look after chooks. He'd steal the odd egg for a sick mate, get a beating and carry on.

(He didn't tell me the story.)

He came home, had a family - wife and two children now deceased, and still lives on his old dairy farm.

I've decided it's sometimes braver to keep living.

I love this story, and am feeling quite brave
    Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

The best thing about these two dear old fellows is they're quite "cool" with me being hobbling and hopeless. Just a so that's what you've got, "well that's a bugger".

They've seen worse, I'm sure.

The Japanese guards cut Hughie's little finger off for stealing. When the American army liberated the camp, and saw the state people were in, there was some rough, but I think probably richly deserved, justice.

Now you, aitch10 are an historian. I think I might have a go myself.

Comment

This is truly a lovely story.

I am so glad you have had the opportunity to meet some of the WWII vets...there are so few left, and they are remarkable...absolutely remarkable. Their stories are incredible.

The Doolittle Raiders, who had annual reunions to toast to those that had died that year met for the very final time this past April. Out of the 80 of them there are only four left and they decided it was their last meeting.

It is indeed braver to keep living!

Thank-you.

Katie
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I am so glad you posted this story. How brave and fine.
          J
          Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

It's always braver to keep living.

Comment

Working...
            X