B - 12 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B - 12 question

Can my gyno check my b-12 levels when he does my other bloodwork? (I have an appt. with him sooner) . If it is low who could tell me how much to take and do you buy it from just any drugstore?
    Thanks for your guidance!

Yes your gyno can check it. Then have them fax the results to your PCP. They can tell you how much to take, and will follow you.

Good luck

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Lisa,

But if I don't have a PCP should he just fax results to my neuro?

Comment

B-12 can be injected by IM needle. Your doctor can give you a shot in the office. My doctor gave me prescription and a 'compounding' pharmacy filled it. After I ran out of the needles, and my level got a bit higher, my doctor suggested that I use 2000mgs of B-12 sublingual tabs from the vitamin store.
        Swallowing a B-12 pill is not effective. You either have to do IM shots or sublingual tablets (dissolved under the tongue). Ask your doctor where your levels should be. Good luck

Comment

Thanks JerryD, hopefully I can get by with the sublingual tablets! We have several vitamins stores around town so I'm sure they will have what I need (when I find out for sure what that is!)

Comment

B-12

I heard that B-12 wards off mosquitos. Is that true?

Comment

The mosquito question is not part of the conversation. I have no idea where that 'idea' is coming from. There is no reason to think that B-12 has anything to do withwarding off mosquito stings. You can be sure that having your B-12 levels above 400 will help with feeling less fatigue. Good luck

Comment

I take vitamin b-12. When I had what we now believe was my first MS episode, it was thought to be due to a vitamin b-12 deficiency. I take one sublingual tablet a day. It is 500 mcg/day. I buy it at Wal-Mart. Anybody should be able to order the blood test. You might want to have your neuro look at it to tell you if he/she thinks it is too low. When I first had mine checked, my PCP said it was fine but it was at the low end of normal. I went to a neuro and he said it was too low.

Comment

Working...
                X