Shingles Vaccine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shingles Vaccine?

Have any of you received the shingles vaccine? Is it recommended (or not) for people with MS?

My PCP recommended I get it, but it was too expensive. I didn't. It is a live virus. I didn't talk with my neuro about it. I am not sure what they would say with it being live. I think it would depend on your immune system.

I figured I would get it in my 50s.

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

I had shingles

a couple of years ago - very painful. Was diagnosed with MS 8 years ago. Can you get shingles more than once?

Comment

Its2Much: Not normally. Like Chicken Pox, most people get each only once; however, there are a select few that get each more than once. Hopefully that is not you.

Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

I got the shingles after my hysterectomy in 2011.
          I was 55 at the time. My immune system was "down," and the shingles virus may have entered my spinal cord.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) advocates adults over the age of 50 to get the vaccine. This is new. The age threshold used to be 60. The CDC lowered the age to 50 in March of 2011. I had my hysterectomy and subsequent bout with the shingles right about that time. I wish my doctor knew about it, because if my problems are viral, this may be the culprit...not sure.

Fast forward to May 2013. The MS neurologist believes my problems stem from Transverse Myelitis...the source being a virus of some sort like the shingles entering my spinal cord and causing demyelination.

After discussing the subject with my neurologist, he told me to ask my PCP to order a vial of Zostavax. I had to order it through my pharmacist. When it came in, I had to transport it from the pharmacy to the doctor's office. The pharmacist also gave me a vial of solution to mix it with.

The Zostavax needed to be refrigerated and cost $250.00 or so. My insurance covered it.

If I knew that it could have saved me from my spinal cord damage, I would have gladly paid for it, insurance or not.

Comment

I really want the Shingles Shot. We had another thread on here, forgot which on it was that some people were getting the shot. It had to do with being between DMDs or something.

I actually have it on my list to discuss with my neuro. I just turned 50 and I really want the shot. I had a friend with Shingles and it was a hard row to hoe for him.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
            X