College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College

I don't know what to do and i feel as if i am at a complete loss. I started college last year, but then a few weeks into the two classes i was taking, MS happened. I had to drop out.

Honestly, i'm still not sure i am ready to go back but i can't keep getting these rollbacks. I have no idea what to do, or even what i should be doing with the rest of my life.
    I apologize if this doesn't belong here or if this doesn't make any sense i just needed to get some of it out.
    Thank you.

The very first thing I would be doing is making sure that my health situation is taken care of, as much as is possible with MS. It is very important that you don't get yourself 'over-stressed'. Try to keep yourself calm. It will work itself out. Good luck

Comment

Another thought would be to check into online classes or just taking one or two classes at a time.

::: hugs :::
      DX Probable Benign MS 2006
      Changed to Fibromyalgia
      Seizure 2011
      Many new symptoms starting 1/2013

Comment

Originally posted by MissDotty View Post
        I have no idea what to do, or even what i should be doing with the rest of my life.
        I can understand how you feel. I was diagnosed after college but right before I applied to graduate school. I can completely relate to not knowing what you'll be doing the rest of your life. MS is unpredictable. My flares are really bad, but luckily only happen every few years. I'm at the point in my education where I am almost finished, but how long will I be able to work? No one can tell me that so I'm planning on working until I can retire. If something happens in the meantime I'll deal with it then.

I suggest you call your university and talk to someone in the disability services department. In your situation I would not keep your MS a secret. Also, let your professors know of your unique situation. No one can help you if they do not know what is going on. Be honest, once you get an excerbation under control you'll probably be fine. But let instructors know ahead of time that you have MS and it may have an effect on your attendance, punctuality, frequent bathroom breaks, or whatever. A decent professor will do what he/she can to help you in the class. This doesn't mean you don't have to do the work, but maybe the instructor can make sure you have access to the notes or will excuse some absences.

Good luck and have hope :0)
        Lori
        Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Sorry, my bad, I missed the two classes part. Maybe you could try just taking one at a time?
          DX Probable Benign MS 2006
          Changed to Fibromyalgia
          Seizure 2011
          Many new symptoms starting 1/2013

Comment

not knowing what your exact symptoms at this time....I would say don't stop going to college! Go to a local school like a community college or, like suggested, do courses on-line. Best of luck to you!
            dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Been there! I started experiencing symptoms over 10 years ago and I was in college I just barely made it through the end of the fall semester. Like you I had to drop out.

As JerryD suggested get your symptoms under control first then see what online courses you can take from your local college. Most colleges offer online courses.

I would do college sooner than later because at this point I can barely focus on anything. I want to go back and considered it a month ago but I know that currently is not going to happen.

Good luck!
              ~Brittan~ Over 15 years w/ symptoms & Recently diagnosed w/ Chiari 1 Malformation - it has a lot of similar symptoms to MS. Easy to dx by MRI. See videos CM info - how to dx via MRI: https://youtu.be/I0f9e3pU6to CM symptoms: https://youtu.be/YyF3HVgHpCs FB group: Chiari Is For Real

Comment

I totally agree with the previous posters in regards to not giving up on college. Do not assume that you won't be able to work and live your life the way you want to...assume you will. Talk to your professors and the university, absolutely. You have a right to receive your education. You have earned it. Do not deny yourself the opportunity. And try not to stress too much. Just do what you can do, do not overexert yourself. You have a unique situation and I truly believe most professors will understand that and accomodate you. As others have said, the rest will come together. I feel for you, I really do.

Comment

As a former university instructor, I second what lorib said:
                  I suggest you call your university and talk to someone in the disability services department. In your situation I would not keep your MS a secret. Also, let your professors know of your unique situation. No one can help you if they do not know what is going on. Be honest, once you get an excerbation under control you'll probably be fine. But let instructors know ahead of time that you have MS and it may have an effect on your attendance, punctuality, frequent bathroom breaks, or whatever. A decent professor will do what he/she can to help you in the class. This doesn't mean you don't have to do the work, but maybe the instructor can make sure you have access to the notes or will excuse some absences.
                  Definitely see disability services right away to figure out what kinds of accommodations you can get. Then you get a letter you can show to instructors, so they can be prepared to provide those accommodations.

Always show the letter at the very beginning of the course—the first day, if possible. The biggest and most common mistake my students made was to wait too long to request accommodations (from disability services, or especially from the instructor), and it wasn't either possible or nearly as easy to make those accommodations last minute.

I had a student who could have been allowed more time on tests, but chose not to take more time until the end of the course came 'round and he was failing. Unfortunately, while having that extra time helped him on the final, it didn't allow him to pass. Use the accommodations you need; don't just grin and bear it, assuming you'll be okay without them.

While it's true that any decent instructor will try to do anything reasonable to accommodate you, you should not expect an instructor to do anything that's not prescribed by the disability services letter. It is not the instructor's job to decide what accommodations you deserve, it is merely their responsibility to implement the accommodations that are in the letter.

I once had a student who acted as if she had a free pass with her letter, making all sorts of requests that were outside the scope of the letter, not respecting my time or efforts. Don't be that student! Avoid thinking that it's the instructor's job to make you pass the class. With respect to passing the class, the instructor's job is to make sure that everyone with the minimum aptitude who puts in a good effort is able to pass the class, with any appropriate accommodations (as determined by disability services).

In general, the letters are not specific to courses, so the implementation of prescribed accommodations can vary based on evaluation methods and types of assignments. Have a clear discussion with the instructor as to how your accommodations will play out in the course. Record what is said (I like using my voice recorder on my cell phone for such things, but you could just take notes), write it up in an email, and send that email to the instructor, requesting they verify the content of the meeting.

Nay91400 said:
                  I totally agree with the previous posters in regards to not giving up on college. Do not assume that you won't be able to work and live your life the way you want to...assume you will.
                  I agree that you should act as if you can do everything you want to, sometimes with accommodation, until a time at which you are forced to conclude there is no way for you to do that thing. Try to be prepared, at least mentally, for the worst. However, remember that great things can't happen for you if you don't try and give them a chance.

Best of luck getting back in the saddle! Please give it another go if you can. Either way, you have support here.

Comment

Working...
                  X