Supplement with my Medicare Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplement with my Medicare Card?

Hey there! I was recently approved for my SSD and am awaiting my Medicare card. It will be May 2014 before I get it. I want a good supplement to accompany my card. I can get Anthem from my former employer for about $400 a month. In some ways, this seems to be worth it, but again, I would like some less expensive. I am 42 and am not sure if my age has anything to do with my eligibility for a supplement. Does anyone have any useful info? I appreciate it--God bless
    Melissa--Betaseron 2007-2010; Novantrone 2008; Tysabri 2010-2012; Rituxan 2012; Tecfidera 2015; Currently-No DMD

Healer is my GOD!

Medicare

It is my understanding that when one gets approved for SSDI it is just for a monthly payment. I didn't get on Medicare for two years after approval. I believe there is a two year waiting period until Medicare begins. Just my two cents!

Comment

You are right; there is a two year waiting period. I signed up in May 2012, approved in 2013, and should get a Medicare card in May 2014. I was just curious to know what types of supplements are out there for persons with disabilities on Medicare.
      Melissa--Betaseron 2007-2010; Novantrone 2008; Tysabri 2010-2012; Rituxan 2012; Tecfidera 2015; Currently-No DMD

Healer is my GOD!

Comment

I can share my experience with this. I started on Medicare last year but was still on LTD with my employer so I had that insurance to use as a supplement. It was a great deal at under $100 a month. I was informed that on 6/30/13, I would be officially terminated from my job so was going to lose that insurance. I would have the option to go on COBRA which I think we all know is crazy expensive. So I started looking around for a supplement. What I found out, is if you are under 65, and on SSDI because of a disability, I would be charged rates for that of an 85 year old person which again was very expensive.

If you can handle that $400 a month, you might want to consider keeping it in addition to the Medicare. But don't hesitate to call around to see what rates might be available to you. (I'm 57 and in Illinois) I ended up choosing a Humana plan called Humana Choice PPO. There are co-pays but also some perks. So far so good. But lots of choices out there, take your time and do your homework, you'll find just the right combo for you. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
        X