X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability: One says YES, One Says No

Interesting dilemma as of late.

Disability:

Psychiatrist says with Cognitive difficulties, Major Depression, etc that I should speak with my Neurologist about Disability.

Neurologist says she doesn't know me that well yet as she has only been seeing me a couple of months and although we've been through 2 DMDs and onto the 3rd with the hopes of getting Insurance Co to cover Tysabri on appeal, 3rd Cognitive Med, 3rd Fatigue Med she would oppose Disability. I need to get the Depression under control. She always says I remind her of another "high achieving" Leader in a Fortune 500 company who has been in continual decline since he went on Disability and she doesn't want to see that happen with me and he was "forced out" due to absences. My wife hasn't found a job yet and that concerns her as well. Let's give the different medications a chance to work.

So although I'm struggling at work with cognitive, organizational, concentration, fatigue, Anxiety, Depression, and more all resulting in absences and some deficiencies in my work I have a Psychiatrist worried about me losing my 70% Disability plan by being let go and end up on SSDI alone. On the other hand a Neurologist stating I would oppose Disability at this point which I think is from a good heart as she kinda sees it as not giving her a good run at resolving my issues.

Anyone else ever been in this situation and what are your thoughts? Looks like Psych not as optimistic as Neuro.
    DX RRMS 4/22/11

I think a major issue that might be getting overlooked here is your depression. From what you wrote, it doesn't seem like your psychiatrist is being aggressive enough in treating your depression and would just as soon have you go out on disability and forget about it. It sounds a little odd to me that the professional who should be the most concerned about your depression is the one who is the least concerned. Could it be that your neuro is more concerned about you as a person and less concerned about viewing you as a disabled person than your psychiatrist is?

Comment

"I'm struggling at work with cognitive, organizational, concentration, fatigue, Anxiety, Depression, and more all resulting in absences and some deficiencies in my work I have a Psychiatrist worried about me losing my 70% Disability plan by being let go and end up on SSDI alone."

If your difficulties at work result in termination of employment, how much your neuro cares about you as a person may not pay her or many other of your financial obligations without your disability benefits.

Unless your employer has assured you otherwise, job performance and excessive absences are basic to maintaining employment and are practical issues to consider.

Your neuro's concerns about patients not doing well after disability are legitimate, but those patients may not have done well if they continued in the workplace until termination became inevitable. I doubt many disabled MS patients do very well with significant financial burden and loss of approimately 60% of earned income that SSDI benefits often represent.

Comment

concerned40,

I would be questioning your Psychiatrist at this point.

There are medical conditions which could approve someone for Disability.

There are also Mental Health conditions which could approve someone for Disability.

So, if your Psychiatrist, who deals with Mental Health, feels you should be on disability why isn't he or she helping you to start the process
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Good Feedback Thank You. I have an appointment at 1 pm with Psych today to discuss Disability and my Boss just emailed me and asked if I should consider Short Term Medical Leave at least at this point since I've missed over a week of work so far.

I'll update everyone after my 1 pm Appointment.
          DX RRMS 4/22/11

Comment

Verify that you have met the LTD policy 'look back period' for pre-existing condition exclusion. Best of luck and take care.

Comment

First of all, I am so sorry for ALL you are enduring. And yes, so many docs are reluctant to help fill out forms and declare you are disabled. You could mention that this does not mean you are perm disabled and in the future can and want to work again.

Also, know that if you use LTD they probably ask you do a SSDI interview on phone (they will actually set it up) for you to apply for SSDI. Most folks are denied first try for SSDI and trust me it is NOT very much $$. But sometimes it is just what you need.

You need at least 1 doc to say that in their opinion you cannot work. (for now). They will continue to get your records and monitor you for a few years. So it is important that you get copies of these doctors records so that they are not missing important info that SSDI/LTD need to cont your benefits.

Good luck, but expect some denial at least 1st time. There are Disability Attys that help you once you are denied SSDI.

Let us know how you are doing.. I have been through this.

Warmly, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Well Psych putting me on 4 Week Short Term Disability and taking it from there. And I confirmed with both Sedgwick and my Benefits Center that I am eligible for LTD at 70% of my Pay. We shall see if I need it or not. Thanks for all the help.
                DX RRMS 4/22/11

Comment

Originally posted by MSer102 View Post
                  I think a major issue that might be getting overlooked here is your depression. From what you wrote, it doesn't seem like your psychiatrist is being aggressive enough in treating your depression and would just as soon have you go out on disability and forget about it. It sounds a little odd to me that the professional who should be the most concerned about your depression is the one who is the least concerned. Could it be that your neuro is more concerned about you as a person and less concerned about viewing you as a disabled person than your psychiatrist is?
                  I would also explore the depression/anxiety components. Depression with anxiety can manifest as all the symptoms you have listed. Imo before relinquishing my good job for disability I would want to tease out if resolving the depression and anxiety might result in better focus, more energy etc.

Good luck.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                  Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                    I would also explore the depression/anxiety components. Depression with anxiety can manifest as all the symptoms you have listed. Imo before relinquishing my good job for disability I would want to tease out if resolving the depression and anxiety might result in better focus, more energy etc.

Good luck.
                    That is a Great point Jules and I plan on doing so.
                    DX RRMS 4/22/11

Comment

Could it be a symptom?

Just another thought...could the depression and anxiety be something that you can't control and is actually a symptom of your MS?

For years I would have off and on bouts of depression and anxiety. People would harshly judge and I couldn't even figure out why I was so depressed. I tried all kinds of antidepressants and non of the typical ones worked for me.

Now after my fairly recent diagnosis, I have determined that this totally corresponds to my MS and it also ties in with exacerbations. I manage my stress and activities so much better since being diagnosed, and I have to say, I haven't had any of these bouts in quite a while!

The medication that has helped my moods the best have been a tricyclics antidepressant along with a mood stabilizer, such as gabapentin.....or perhaps it's the daily Copaxone....or better self management and care....but I think you should consider if it could be a symptom of your MS....

Comment

Working...
                      X