Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caretakers Insurance?

Hello,

My mother Has MS and has limited dexterity in her hands and minor cognitive slow down but is still self sufficient. I just graduated College and am starting my first full time job.

I am just wondering if there is insurance I can start paying in to now for the day she will need professional assistance. I don't want her to go to a home, I want to get a live in or visiting caretaker for her. Is this a possibility or does the fact that she already have MS preclude me form purchasing insurance for her. Like I said she is still self sufficient and wont need a care taker for years out hopefully.

Thank you in Advance,

Charlie.

I just want to say first off, YOU are a delight and are very caring and compassionate for your Mom.

The only thing I can think of would have been a long term disability policy prior to your Moms diagnosis. The problem with any type of insurance now is that there is a permanent pre-existing condition (MS) and most policies won't cover her.

If you could find a long term policy out there, it will be really expensive. My recommendation would be if the time comes where your Mom needs care, would be an assisted living facility. She could still have some independence, but someone will check on her periodically throughout the day.

Since your Mom is in good shape right now, like you said, she probably is not going to need a care taker for years, if ever.

Personally, I would not worry too much about it right now...you don't know what the future holds for either of you. Enjoy today, worry about the rest when and if it comes. And congrats on your graduation and new job!
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

You are better served talking to an insurance professional. If there is any way for an insurance company to deny a claim for 'pre-existing conditions', they will find it. Good luck

Comment

How good of you to think about your mother's future care.

I think that once your have been officially diagnosed with MS, it would be near impossible to get insurance for nursing care.

I tried, and because of my spine lesion and other problems, I was denied coverage.

It is great that she is high functioning for now. I pray she continues this way. Just take one day at a time, realize that this disease is very tough to deal with.

Caring for her at her home is always possible, with money.
        At first, she may need minimal assistance. Maybe someone to cook, clean, and give her showers and such. they can come in for 2-3 hours a day and then leave. Later, she may need more assistance and need a person to come in 8 hours a day. The weekends are more expensive, or her care may fall on other family members like yourself.

When It gets really difficult, you may have to make hard choices and place her, if she no longer has assets to pay for medical and custodial care. There is also medicare to consider. Check with an elder care attorney for some suggestions.

This is in the U.S., maybe Canada is different.

Try not to worry too much, but check to see what options she has if she becomes worse. Does she have savings?
        Is there another family member or friend that she can pay to get care? This is cheaper than hiring an agency nurse.

For right now, it sounds like she is doing O.K., so I hope that it stays that way.

Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
        X