Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lesions on C-spine

Hi everyone,

I'm scared. I found out today that I have s lesion on my c-spine (C-3). Do any of you have lesions on your cervical spine? I hear there's not always a good prognosis.

Anyways, feeling anxious and need to know I'm not alone.

Thanks so much,

Vicki
    "Get out of your head and into your life!"
    Psalms 46:1 - "God is my refuge and my strength, an everpresent help in times of trouble."

I do too. It causes a little foot drop/right side problems during exacerbations, but otherwise plays nice. I was concerned too because certain info out on the internet claims that C lesions mean more serious course of disease, and they can do more damage to mobility overall. But my neuro and PT are basically unconcerned with it and have told me, unprompted, that I have a mild course of disease. So I don't let it worry me.

Comment

I have lesions in my C and T spine, but the ones they worry about the most are the brainstem lesions. I have quite a few of those. I have never heard my neurologist worry out loud about the C-spine lesions, just the brainstem ones, but that may be because those are there and are in a more sensitive area.

C-spine lesions can be trouble, but not the end of the world.

Talk with your neurologist about your specific lesion and what it affects in you neurologically. That should ease your mind a bit.

Best wishes!

Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

I have multiple lesions C2-C6. From a physical stand point, no one would know. My doctor has never said he worries about them more than brain lesions. As opposed to the brain, they have more understanding of the c-spine and areas potentially affected.

You are definitely not alone. I am sure many more people on the board also have C-Spine lesions and we all share your anxiety from time to time.

I try not to worry that they are there and do the best I can to take care of myself, adhere to medicines and hope that the Rx prevents future lesions. I've been fortunate - my MRIs have remained unchanged for 7 years.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks, you two. That sets my mind at ease a little. The one I have is at the C-3 level, which is responsible for breathing. Thats what concerns me, I guess. Trying not to worry myself sick while I wait for another MRI in a couple weeks and get an update from my neuro.

Anyone else with one at C-3?

Thanks again,

Vicki
          Psalms 46:1 - "God is my refuge and my strength, an everpresent help in times of trouble."

Comment

I have a c-spine lesion, but for now, we are doing nothing about it, waiting to see if it causes an exacerbation.

Right now, I have had c-spine anterior surgery, and am improving. I still have tingling in hands and feet, but not as bad.

I am hoping that this is TM and is transient, but one nover knows. I will not take MS drugs for now, as we do not know for a fact that I have MS.

This lesion is worrisome, but I am trying to forget it for now, until I get worse.

Comment

I've got a 12mm lesion at C2, but my neuro has never said it was anything special to worry about. I assume that's because my symptoms are 95% paresthesias. I've definitely suffered much more from bad discs and a cyst in the L4-L5 area, which have nothing to do with MS.

I think the important thing about spinal lesions is the lateral position. That's what determines whether it affects motor or sensory function. This diagram is the best I've found: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._-_English.svg (if the link is not allowed, search for "spinal cord tracts" in Wikipedia)

The vertical position matters, too, but only in the sense that lesions higher up can affect more of your body (e.g., a c-spine lesion can affect your arms, but a t-spine one can only affect lower areas).

[Lisa & other medically trained members: Please correct me if I've got the anatomy wrong!]
              1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
              NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

I have many c-spine and brainstem lesions along with many in my brain. Mobility is sometimes a problem I use a cane when out of the house and recently started using a rollator when I need to walk what i feel are long distances. My arms, hands and legs are tingly and quite heavy at times and numbness is profuse. I have noticed some breathing problems (not feeling like I get enough air or if I am speaking I sometimes take large gulps because I am running out of air) and occasional palpitations. What bothers me the most is no sensation that I have to empty my bladder until it is immediate and then everyone out of my way!

I don't worry too much about them not a darn thing I can do anyway. After 30+ years of living with MS I have learned to take each day as it comes because most of them are an adventure.

Comment

Wow, you guys are awesome ... I feel so much better after reading your replies. I admire your positive attitudes and you all seem so well-informed.

I think what had me feeling anxious is ghat my neuro. repeated a couple of times that if it really is a lesion they spotted on my cervical dpine st C-3, that's a bad thing. im going to try to remember that everyone's course is different.

Thanks for easing my mind. Hope this is a good day for each of you.

~ Vicki

Comment

My last MRI showed lesions all over my c-spine, and they were able to see as far down as T-2 and there were lesions there as well. I did have an exacerbation where I had a little weakness and a lot of numbness in my left arm/wrist area, but it completely resolved. I've had the foot drop, but it also resolved recently. I still have some lower body weakness and bilateral arm numbness from my latest exacerbation, but I've gotten much stronger than when I was at my weakest point. Unless someone knows me, nobody would ever know anything is wrong, and right now it's because I've gotten that much stronger.

From what I understand, it's all about location. I believe that my symptoms don't match the number of lesions I've got. If they did, I'd probably be a lot worse off than I am right now. It really freaked me out when I first found out (my neuro didn't tell me a thing about them, I read the MRI report for myself), but I've learned not to do that anymore and I'm just living life enjoying my mobility now that it's improved enough that I can be mostly normal again.
                    Diagnosed 1/4/13
                    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Hi VickiD,

This disease likes my spinal cord and always has. C-spine lesions are well known for causing mobility problems and they tend to be more symptomatic than brain lesions.

Having said that --- I am still quite mobile even with c-spine lesions although mobility has always been my biggest struggle with this disease.

I have done quite well over the years even with spinal cord lesions

Best wishes, VickiD
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I'm glad you're doing so well, lsrl. Thanks for your reassurance.

Comment

Originally posted by lstrl View Post
                          My last MRI showed lesions all over my c-spine, and they were able to see as far down as T-2 and there were lesions there as well........ From what I understand, it's all about location.......It really freaked me out when I first found out (my neuro didn't tell me a thing about them, I read the MRI report for myself), but I've learned not to do that anymore and I'm just living life enjoying my mobility now that it's improved enough that I can be mostly normal again.
                          I was reading my neuroradiologist's reports too, until I read too much into it and freaked out. From what he wrote, he said that I was in dire trouble, physically.

A family friend is a neurosurgeon and he told me not to fret too much as it truly goes by what you feel rather than what the report says.

I have learned to follow his good advice, as it comforted me.

Comment

Lesions on C Spine

Hi - I'm a Vicky I have a lesion along my C5-C6. I just recently changed to a more local neurologist - there wasn't one in my area that specialized in MS previously. Both the new neuro & previous one indicated that it was that lesion that was likely causing the problems I have with my right leg. But neither indicated prognosis was worse (progression) because of the location of the lesion, just causing some of my specific symptoms. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                            X