think may have had MS Hug ? here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

think may have had MS Hug ? here

Title is self explanatory however it only lasted thru night. Which BTW was more than enough for me. ? is this. Still I only had it that one time in 13 yrs is it likely (if that IS what it was) to come back from time to time now that I've had it or could it simply be one of the once only things I have from time to time.

Additionally could someone that has HAD this for sure describe for me rather than the "doctors descriptions". If you know what I mean, often they haven't a clue. Just saying. Thanks

You could go a long time without having it. Just like any other MS symptom.

I have had it numerous times. For each person it is a little different. Not a lot. It feels kind of like a girdle wrapped around your upper body. You can't really get a good breath in or out. It also feels a little painful, or a lot painful depending on how bad it is. It comes out of nowhere and you can get it just lying down, so it is not like asthma or anything like that.

That is my experience. Hope yours is not too bad.

Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

MS hug only one reply seriously folks really??

I find if hard and disappointing that out of 80 viewings only one person said anything thus explains why I gave up posting most anything and just use this forum for the Arcade. Drats

I could have just looked up the symptom online however, what I was hoping for was real world experience, IMHO is the best.

I do, however, appreciate the one answer I did get since it was very helpful and exactly what I wanted to compare.

It goes without saying that each and all symptoms are different for all of us and individually often not the same within our own bodies. That being said. Mine was more of a band not unlike that of metal wine barrel type size constricting on upper chest mostly across breast and sternum area. It was so tight and AWFULLY painful level 9 almost to ER (however what are they going to do) level and lasted most of night. Finally released in the am not to return since. Hope it doesn't come back eitherlol!!

Moving on to more regular stuff like having a tooth pulled this afternoon. Just great fun however, (biting down on gauze to soak up blood) went to grandson's baseball game withing 1 hour of having it pulled. (this SHOULD indicate I'm so not a wimp). They won!!! yeah rah.

They play again tomorrow. Hope it stops bleeding again so as not to freak out kids at ballpark. Can't yell for time however (being the glass half full kinda woman) I can still clap and support the team. This ole body is not going to get the best of me no matter what it throws at me/and it sure does it's best to trump me up quite often.

Thanks again for your reply. This basically confirms what I already mostly decided was my dx by myself. he he lol

Comment

MS Hug

I always describe my "hug" as a boa constrictor. I have it most of the time, sometimes gently squeezing and next it can be really painful.
        It can be so bad I feel like going to the ER to get something to stop it.
        Fortunately I now have some medication from my neuro which helps, mostly.

I have Gabapentin which I take 3 times a day and when the pain breaks through on that I then take a valium.

If it still goes on, and it does, I take Endone or oxycontin, strong stuff but really needed.

Hope you manage to get your boa under some control,
        I think you may need to get something from your Doctor to help with the pain.

Hope you get it sorted

All the best Min

Comment

Mine can be anywhere from just an uncomfortable tightness that is annoying, to so painful I went to the ER not knowing what was going on. (they said they didn't know, guessed costochondritis, but now I know it was the hug).

Most of the time it feels like labor contractions, just in my ribcage. I have 3 spots it comes to. One spot on my right, one on my left, these come fairly regularly. But sometimes it is right across my sternum and that doesn't happen very often. That's the one that is the killer and sent me to the ER. So painful I could hardly take a breath. Luckily I"ve only had it a couple times there. So I'm guessing it could be something that you only get once in a while. Maybe an area that only gets bothered when you are having inflammation on a certain lesion? Just a guess.

I take a prescription strength motrin and that helps a bit with the mild hug, just makes it less tender. But the big ones I take either a muscle relaxer or vicodin depending on much tightness versus pain I'm feeling with it.

Comment

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=114809

This is just one of the many threads scattered through the forums.

Comment

thanks as EXACTLY what I needed folks!!

I appreciate those of you that answered more than you can know. As we all deal with this crazy MS symptoms that come and go it can be very confusing.

FYI: I mostly try to ignore all that come my way. I CAN'T ignore the heat as it does GET me above 70 degrees DRATS!!!

Had nerve pain in arms that my hubby and I refer to as pizza arms! Translation meaning it feels like you just stuck your arms up to the shoulder into the oven to pull out 200 pizzas!!

I've had all the following: pleursy, costrochronditis, inter ??? chronditis, anxiety attacks, muscle pulls, blah blah blah blah Thus I knew what I DIDN"T have!

ER is always last possible course of action. Had muscle relax, valium, pain RX thus took them and waited!! It took all night and finally eased up. It is an extreme level 9-10 on the pain scale (one can only do this one for so long before you lose your sense of humor). Humor being my most valuable tool in my arsenal period.

It was directly across the sternum which I guess is the reason for such extreme pain. Glad, excited, happy etc etc to report it has NOT come back and "hope" it doesn't as it is so NOT fun. just saying.

Thanks again for the support and answers as this really did help me. For me knowing what is going on usually helps it not to be as painful for some reason.

Comment

I have also had ms hug on a number of occasions over the past 12 years. Squeezes the air out of me but fortunately for me it doesn't last more than a few minutes. Sorry not helpfull but best wishes it doesn't come back at least not anytime soon.

Comment

The squeeze

Hey there. feels like Iron Man grabbing my sternum. Happens about once or twice a day when the temp and humidity soars in the summer. I hope I never really have a heart attack, or I'll never think to call 911. Always subsides if I go back indoors, or if I stay outside and just try to stay calm and ride it out. that took some practice, but is doable.

Kathy

Comment

Like others sometimes I get just the right side or left or the whole rib cage but the worst is when it effects the sternum ... it truly can feel like a heart attack.

It felt as though my rib cage was crushing me and surrounding the sternum was even worse. It was so bad I was also experiencing a feeling of reflux, my throat started to burn.

I was able to calm it down for about a day and a half later, none stop excruciating. Awful. That was by far the worst I've ever had it.

Plus unfortunately right now I am experiencing it again I have been taking the gabapentin and valium and it is not as bad as the previous but it is still squeezing from my back and around my ribs. What a pain ... lol.
                    ~Brittan~ Over 15 years w/ symptoms & Recently diagnosed w/ Chiari 1 Malformation - it has a lot of similar symptoms to MS. Easy to dx by MRI. See videos CM info - how to dx via MRI: https://youtu.be/I0f9e3pU6to CM symptoms: https://youtu.be/YyF3HVgHpCs FB group: Chiari Is For Real

Comment

For me, it has happened just a few times. It's a sudden painful griping in my rib cage. And hurts to take a deep breath. It has lasted a few minutes to a couple days.

Like all things MS, it's different for everybody.
                      Karen

Comment

Yeah, no, MS hug hurts like anything.

Kind of a pulsing strangling squeeze in the bit between ribs and belly button, every second and a half breath, which throws you, because you can't get it regular with your breathing.

I've only had it twice. Sitting on the bathroom floor, wishing I could be sick, but it's not nausea, just pain.

Buscopan was the only thing that helped. It lasted about four days each time.

Good luck.

Comment

I've been told I might have ms for years but was diagnosed For sure by mayo clinic in April so I'm still new to this. When I started tecfedera meds around the 3rd week period I started vomiting and continued for a few days from the meds. The last night my chest seize up an I couldn't get off my bathroom floor. I told my husband something in my rib cage was squeezing or feeling like it was being crushed. Could this have been what you call a ms hug?
                          Ill just say I never ever go to the emergency room and that night I almost did. It was that painful. Hoping that never happens again whatever the cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelbygirl View Post
                            I've been told I might have ms for years but was diagnosed For sure by mayo clinic in April so I'm still new to this. When I started tecfedera meds around the 3rd week period I started vomiting and continued for a few days from the meds. The last night my chest seize up an I couldn't get off my bathroom floor. I told my husband something in my rib cage was squeezing or feeling like it was being crushed. Could this have been what you call a ms hug?
                            Ill just say I never ever go to the emergency room and that night I almost did. It was that painful. Hoping that never happens again whatever the cause.
                            Was it your rib cage feeling as though it was crushing you? If yes, then yes that could have been what it was. But keep in mind there are other illnesses that do cause this also.

MS Hug is just a nick name for chostochondritis (spelling may not be correct).

Also, next time it hits try a muscle relaxer if you have one or try to get 2 ice packs and put one on your sternum and one across your back ... I've notice the ice pack regimen helps most of the times.

Good luck Shelby!
                            ~Brittan~ Over 15 years w/ symptoms & Recently diagnosed w/ Chiari 1 Malformation - it has a lot of similar symptoms to MS. Easy to dx by MRI. See videos CM info - how to dx via MRI: https://youtu.be/I0f9e3pU6to CM symptoms: https://youtu.be/YyF3HVgHpCs FB group: Chiari Is For Real

Comment

Thank you I appreciate the suggestions. I have muscle relaxers and Ice packs but was not told a out the hug so I didn't know what to do if one hit me. Ill give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X