Leg spasms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leg spasms

Hello I have just joined this site today, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice I have been having leg spasms now for a week or so my legs stiffen completely and I can't control them my right foot turns in and shakes uncontrably the pain is bad too like really bad muscle cramp its been happening more and more and very scary my legs feel heavy and sore can anyone help please ?

Hi there and welcome. I hope you find this site as helpful as I have!

I also struggle with leg spasms and have found a number of things to be helpful. I try to stretch my legs (and other parts) every day. I won't lie and say it helps at that moment but overall I have MUCH less spasticity when I am stretching regularly. Sometimes I can really only do a bare minimum but it really does help.

I try to take epsom salt baths whenever I can (which is not often but I wish it could be every day!). I also take a daily medication to help with sensory and spasticity issues and have an emergency Rx for the really bad days. I also have made a lot of adjustments to my diet that I think have been beneficial in many ways, all of which are interconnected.

As for the leg heaviness- I don't know what helps with that. The only time I have experienced it was during a relapse and boy was it the pits. Have you called your neuro to rule out exacerbation and/or get some symptom management?

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply no I haven't spoken to anyone yet it has only started recently and was not even sure what was happening to me.thanks for your Advice about stretching I will try and see how it goes.maybe I should see a doctor sooner rather than later.

Comment

It's worth at least a phone call for sure! I do hope you feel better soon! Let us know how you do

Comment

Spasms

Thanks for your help I have an appointment on Friday morning so hopefully should find out more then

Comment

Ouch!!! Sounds like spasticity!! And there are meds for it.

Also you can get spasms with deficiencies in magnesium/potassium. You need to get your Vit D and B12 checked out. Are you already diagnosed with MS?

Otherwise, as part of the work up for the diagnosis, make sure spasticity is addressed AND those deficiencies.

Good luck and let us know how your appt goes.

Warmly, Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Thank you no ms hasn't been diagnosed yet we will see what happens Friday it would nice just to know what it is, as at the moment it's all a bit scary your body doing something you can't control it's nice to know I am not alone anyway thank you all

Comment

Leg spasms

Well I went to the doctor today he wants to do more blood tests to check calcium levels among others also he prescribed me baclofen tablets apparently muscles relaxants and to help with spasticity hope they start to make a difference just be nice to get this under control

Comment

Baclofen

Baclofen did NOTHING for me...maybe it wasn't the right dosage, don't know. The only thing that helps me during the day is Neurontin. I take 300mgs, 2 in the morning and 3 in the evening. At night I take 2 Soma and 2 Klonopin to sleep and help with leg issues.
                  Terri
                  "God doesn't give you what you can handle, He helps you handle what you are given."

Comment

Thanks for your advice I guess I will just have to see how it goes anything has got to be better than why I have now

Comment

Working...
                    X