Tattoos and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tattoos and MS

Hello! I was recently diagnosed in early may with MS. I'm an RN and know how the disease works but like the rest of the world I still don't know everything that causes a flare up. I'm only 22 and I love tattoos. My concern is that getting one may cause a flare up. Does anyone have any info or had any experiences about getting a tattoo while having MS? Thank you

My daughter has been a reputable tattoo artist for 8 years. She says that getting a tattoo will not cause any kind of flare but due to interrupted nerve signals, it can feel more painful than it really is (or less painful if you're lucky).

If you are on an injectable DMD, make sure you inform your artist so they can stay clear of injection sites. Also, if you've recently been on steroids, let the "bloat" go away before getting it done. Water retention can change the look of the tattoo.

Just curious, what are you thinking of getting?

Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Thanks for the info :-) I have a dove on my shoulder blade and wanted to add the MS ribbon to it to where the dove is holdin it in its mouth. It will tell a story about me :-)

Comment

Sounds like a beautiful tattoo.
        I have gotten quite a few tattoos since being diagnosed and haven't had a problem with it. I'm not on any meds so I'm not sure what issues that may cause. I just had a relapse and was put on steroids, I have a piece that needs finishing so I'm waiting till my immune system is back up and running to keep from getting any possible infections. I also decided not to get any work done while I was relapsing in case it was too stressful on my body.

Comment

Sounds beautiful, let us know how it turns out!
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

i have 2 tattoos and i got them both after my dxs. no problems
            MS dx's 2000
            Tysabrian

¤ fate is not just who's cooking smells good, but which way the wind blows ¤

Comment

Awesome! Thanks y'all! I will let you know how it works out!

Comment

Working...
              X