MS neuros in Portland, OR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS neuros in Portland, OR?

I'll be moving to Portland, OR, in August for a job. I probably won't be there more than a year (it's a replacement job for someone on leave), but I don't want to be without an MS doctor.

I've seen online that there are a lot of options, but I always like to hear recommendations from actual people.

Here are some of my particulars:
    *only 2 exacerbations in the last 17 years, still in RRMS

*on Betaseron since 2008 and I'm okay with it

*very active physically

*use complementary medicine - mostly specific kinds of massage and bodywork, but also eating healthy etc., but no serious supplementation. Basically I'd like someone who is at least open to CAM and won't make fun of it or dismiss it. They don't have to push fads on me.

*I'm VERY on top of all of my health matters and VERY involved as a patient. I ask questions that are informed and I expect to be treated with respect.

*I fired a neurologist for being sarcastic, and not taking my concerns seriously - e.g. I had been in a tropical country for an extended period when I had the exacerbation that led to diagnosis. When I pointed this out to the diagnosing MD (as the CDC says one should for a whole year after returning from such a situation) and asked what tropical diseases we should be ruling out, the doctor said since she didn' t know anything about that, so it could be any of those diseases.

If you have a doc who seems like a good fit, I'd love to hear about it. Not sure if we're allowed to comment negatively on individual doctors here, so I don't want to solicit negative stuff. But if you know things like a doc is out of town a lot, or hard to get an appointment with, that would be welcome information.

Thanks!

Best of luck with your relocation, BTW. Relocating is one of the most stressfull times in one's personal and professional life. Add MS to the the mix and it can be quite a challange.

Love Portland, hope you do too.

Comment

MS Doctor

Hi
      I was in the year long study with OHSU, Ms and Diet. One of the Neurologists I saw was Dr Michelle Cameron. I would highly recomend Her, very caring, supports CAM, I only wish i lived closer to Portland so she could be my MS MD! She accepts new pts, can look her up on the OHSU web site.

Comment

When I was diagnosed, I went to Portland for a few months to hang out with family and to see someone who specializes in MS. (I currently live in a small city and the nearest MS center is 250 miles away.) I went to the OHSU MS Center. It was great. Good doctors who really know their stuff. It's kind of a pain that you have to go through a student/doctor, but you'll get face time with an expert too.

Hey Jane...I didn't qualify for the diet study, because I was just starting Copaxone. But lately I've been experimenting with veganism. Did you do that McDougal thing? And how did you like it?

Comment

Diet Study

Hi Mabel.
          I feel so blessed that I was accepted into the study. One of the best experiences I have had in my life. OHSU was such a supportive wonderful experience. Dr Mcdougall is amazing. His 10 day program I highly reccommend to anyone wanting to make a change. I felt incredible after being there, it will be one year this june and i am staying on this WOE for life, it truly works for me. I am drug free and have not had a relapse for 2 years now. Eating a whole foods plant based no oil added diet is not that hard, and the pay off of feeling good is well worth the change!

Comment

I went to OHSU. I didn't have a great experience. My doctor was Kourtney Takahashi. I would not recommend her to anyone. I have to go back to have more testing done due to having double vision for 6 months. My primary is sending me back for an MRI and to try to get on medicine. Thankfully, Dr. Takahashi is out of her residency so I dont have to see her. Ill let you know who i end up seeing and how i like them. My friend sees Dr. Michelle Mass. I have heard good things from her.

Comment

The M.S. Center

I go to the MS center at Providence St Vincent Hospital. Every neuro I have seen there has been excellent and understanding and the MRI techs at the hospital do special MS angles and techniques for our docs. I am impressed, read up on it, maybe visit the office or attend one of their one night seminar/guest speaker events.

Good luck.
              Risa
              Risa
              DX August 2005
              Rebif September 3rd 2005

Comment

When I was diagnosed my neuro referred me to Dr Michelle Mass at OHSU. I highly recommend her. I have been to a couple educational seminars at OHSU and have been impressed with Rebecca Spain and Edward Kim. I don't know any other neuros in PDX. Good luck with your temporary move!

Comment

Working...
                X