I'm new, so apologies up front.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new, so apologies up front.

If this is the wrong spot to post this, I'm sorry. If it's been discussed, I'm sorry. I dug around a bit but couldn't find anything. Feel free to delete it, move it, etc. Just saying that because I know how moderators get when something gets posted when/where it shouldn't be.

Now, on to the good stuff. Last summer, I began having a really weird sensation in my calf - only really noticed it when I was in bed, laying down. It felt like there was a knot in the center of the muscle that would occasionally twitch very lightly. The twitching stopped by sort of radiating out (bad description, but it's the best I can do). Always, though, it was deep in the muscle and very light. Sometimes my foot would tingle like it was going to to sleep, though I would never fully lose sensation during this. I didn't think much of it at the time because it was never a constant thing. It just kind of came and went.

A few weeks after all of this started, I woke up one morning and, while the knot feeling was still there, my calf was extremely stiff. It was uncomfortable to walk and it caused me to limp around since it was hard to properly flex it when I would step.

That prompted me to go to the doctor because I thought maybe I had a blood clot in my calf. Basically, the doctor fumbled around with my knee saying that sometimes a cyst will form in the back of the knee. He didn't feel anything and I felt like he dismissed everything. I was pretty annoyed by it, truthfully.

Fast forward a bit and my entire leg would just feel tired and "heavy." Eventually, my calf became extremely sore. It hurt just to touch it and stretch it out. Following that, my thigh muscles twitched as hard as I've ever experience for a good 30 seconds (may or not be related, I don't know). Again, none of this is a constant thing. I had another doctor appointment for something unrelated, and I mentioned to the doctor how sore my calf got. his response? "Hm. You probably just overdid it working out." I know for a fact that didn't happen, but I, again, got annoyed and didn't say anything else about it.

Everything went away and I forgot about it. But, last week, my hip became sore, the weird sensation in my calf is back and newly added is the feeling that I'm about to strain/pull my hamstring if I'm doing something. Also, my hamstring will sometimes feel like it's about to twitch, but never does - you know that kind of tickling feeling that accompanies muscles spams? Yeah, that's how my hamstring feels.

I've convinced myself that it's either sciatica or MS. I've made another appointment with a new doctor, but it's a littler over a week away. I guess I'm just seeing if anybody else has experienced this and what it might've led to. Basically, just trying to mentally prepare myself for anything and everything.

Again, sorry if this has all been covered or whatever.

Greetings! Not to worry, you're in the right forum...

Originally posted by beantooth View Post
    I've convinced myself that it's either sciatica or MS.
    Statistically speaking, I hope you realize that sciatica (or other spine problem) is much more likely. If your new doc is not a neuro or physiatrist/orthopedist and doesn't have an explanation you can buy, ask for a referral. I would see a physiatrist first, because they know a lot about both nerves and the musculoskeletal system (and my physiatrist is the one who eventually sent me to a neuro when he was sure some symptoms weren't the usual spinal stuff).

Basically, just trying to mentally prepare myself for anything and everything.
    I understand, but it's also a great way to unnecessarily freak yourself out!
    1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
    NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

First of all, I am sorry you are going through this kind of pain and struggle. It is good that you posted here.

For me, it sounds more like Spasticity, which can cause cramping, tight muscles and fatigue in muscles.. and Mark is right it also can be the lower spine.

I always get things checked out by my orthopedic doc who does xrays and sometimes orders MRI. They identify which is which for me, since I have both spinal stenosis, and spasticity.

There are meds to take AND most of us are depleted in MINERALS which can cause cramping esp in calf and feet.
      Potassium, magnesium, are two of the supplements I take too. Trust me probably NO Doc will tell you to take supplements, but you probably need both Meds and supplements for spasms.

And Baclofen and a couple of other muscle relaxants type meds are offered. See if your primary doc can help you too until you see your Neuro.

So it IS treatable, but you want to know for sure what is causing it. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Warmly, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Working...
      X