Should I call my Dr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I call my Dr?

I haven’t really had any exacerbations since my dx a year ago. Prior to that, my 2 main ones were going numb in my midsection, which led to vibrations that ran down my right leg. Eventually those went away & I was left only with back spasms. I also had extreme fatigue, sleeping all night & barely able to open my eyes to get ready for work, dozing off at my desk at work. This too improved & I just get fatigued but it’s not debilitating and I take Provigil at work to help me focus.

A few days ago I began to notice a tingling that went from my right groin area down through my thigh. Yesterday it seemed to get more intense & then I even got some of the old vibrations back. Today it’s still happening, has spread to my calf, but I was also extremely fatigued when I got up this morning. I usually check my email in the morning & was literally fighting to keep my eyes open, all I wanted to do was go back to sleep. Very much like it was in the past.

I have an appointment with my neuro for my regular check up on 4/26. My question is, should I call him for this? Or just wait for the appt. I know if I went totally numb, my eyesight started to be affected, etc that I should call but I almost feel funny calling for tingling. I’m worried it’s a warning sign of something bigger about to happen though. I believe the rule of thumb is any new symptom lasting more than 24 hours.

Just like to see what everyone else normally does under these circumstances.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your feedback!!
    Diagnosed: May 2012
    Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
    Plegridy - starting 12/14

I'm newly dx and haven't had any major exacerbations since my first major one(s) in November/December 2012. Occasionally, I'll have a few days where I start to feel bad - heavy legs, tingle fingers, dizziness and think "oh great, here we go again.". The symptoms are mild and I wouldn't want to go on steroids unless they were more severe. I typically can attribute this to my overdoing it physically and not getting enough rest. It hasn't gotten worse and usually subsides after a few days.

I just record it in my MS journal for my neuro appoitnment. If you feel like they are getting more severe and could potetentially be an exacerbation, I would say no harm in at least calling your doc for opinion. Good luck to you!

Comment

If nothing has happened recently to possibly explain what you are feeling, I would call and talk to the nurse. Nothing might happen but at least you're being proactive. When I have an active lesion and the accompanying fatigue the adderall I take does absolutely nothing to make me less tired so that's a good sign something is going on. It can't hurt to call and let your neuro's office know what's going on. Best of luck!
      Lori
      Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Maybe it's a guy thing, but with an appointment in less than two weeks I would just write down everything that's changing -- unless the new sx were bad enough to consider steroids.
        I’m worried it’s a warning sign of something bigger about to happen though.
        Given the randomness of MS, I wouldn't expect a warning about anything...
        1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
        NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Thanks guys! I think I get nervous because prior to the first time I went numb, I got a lot of pins & needles but not knowing that I had MS I just thought I had a pinched nerve or something.

I'm going to wait. I'm not numb & no weakness so will hope for the best. If it gets worse, I'll give them a call.

Thanks for the support, sometimes you just need to hear someone tell you that you're making the same decision they would make (right or wrong lol).
          Diagnosed: May 2012
          Medications: Avonex - stopped 12/14
          Plegridy - starting 12/14

Comment

Hello. Numb is kind of normal, with MS. If it's any comfort, it does usually go away.

Cue Jaws music, dum dum dum, da da dum dum dum. It may well come back.

You're going to your neuro soon. Tell him. No need for 'roids, I'd say. But that's me.

Comment

I'd call and let the doc make the decision about seeing you now or seeing you in a few weeks. Maybe you can still have one appointment, but sooner rather than later. I like docs to see me in mid-flare so there is no question later about what actually happened.

Comment

Should I call the doc?

Originally posted by Alicious View Post
                I'd call and let the doc make the decision about seeing you now or seeing you in a few weeks. Maybe you can still have one appointment, but sooner rather than later. I like docs to see me in mid-flare so there is no question later about what actually happened.

I tend to agree with this Al. She obviously is not able to function with her daily activities and I believe MS, (since there is no cure) is all about treating the symptoms so that you can continue with your life. Why wait until they worsen before seeking help?

Unltimately the decision I guess is up to your Neuro, and they are all different. I would call and find out his/her stance on this.
                You don't stop laughing because you grow old....you grow old because you stop laughing!

Comment

Working...
                X