In hospital, possible mini stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In hospital, possible mini stroke

I was admitted to the hospital because I had severalepisodes where the left side of my body got weak and dropsy on my face with slurred speech. Each episode lasted a minute.

However now it's to the point where I cant walk all the time because I can go into these spasms.

I have no brain bleed, no clots. Right now they are between mini strokes or MS seizures. I am nervous if this is MS because I am afraid it could be a sign of perm disability.

Has any had this happen or have any info on MS seizures?
    Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

So sorry Katje!

I hope you get answers, and get better soon!
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi Katje.
      It sounds like what I experienced 6 years ago. I had right side weakness, facial droop, spasms with every movement that last about 10 seconds. I went to the ER and was given a CAT scan. They thought I had TIA(mini strokes). After going to the Neurologist for a year, I was finally diagnosed with MS. Still have right side weakness.
      Hope you find answers soon.
      "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
      Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

I was dx'd with epilepsy about 15yrs before MS based on abnormal EEGs.

The epilepsy dx's was reversed at the time I was dx'd with MS. It's assumed that the abnormal EEG was presenting sx's of MS, although not everyone is in agreement with that even.

I hope you recover and feel better very soon.

Comment

That was my first major sx...half my body was numb including half my tongue and had double vision..and I was 7 mo pregnant at the time...I think it would be hard to distinguish an sx vs stroke with no 'brain bleed'...hope you're better soon!

Take care
          Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

waiting to hear from neuro, his asst came in and stated he felt it was MS related and it will never go away and I would have to be on anti seizure meds for the rest of my life.

Comment

Hi Katje

Seizure medicine for MS spasms? Some seizure medicines are now used for lots of other things too....

Hope it works for you and if not it can always be re elevaluated.

Take care
              Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Oh Kate so sorry for this big scare.. hang in there!

I do not understand why they are soo sure its seizure related and on meds for life. I would get an inpatient, video EEG test that looks at your brain for several days. It can be done at home, but it more accurate inpatient.

I would demand that test. They too told me I had seizures and put me on meds, which for ME, I became allergic and sick from. Found out it was MS only, after a 5 day video EEG showed no epilepsy.

THAT is how I got my MS diagnosis...took awhile to rule out the seizure part, ..and like you were told for years, that I was having TIAs.. turns out that was not true either.

Keep us posted, but get that video EEG done to be sure. It would be sad you are put on a med, lifelong, if you truly do not need it. But if you are having some kind of seizure, a neuro who specializes in seizures=epileptologist would follow you too.

Hugs to you!

Jan
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

My MRI was clear, they found no clots, my EEG was normal. He said going by my symptoms, he said it is a tonic seizure.

Comment

Oh dear, GET A 2nd OPINON!!!!!

Your EEG was normal, hmm...yet he calls that a tonic seizure?

See an Epileptologist and see what they think.
                    Be certain. Docs are trying to help but often make
                    an educated guess.. based on what they know at the time.
                    Sometimes they are right, but not always.

keep us posted..my prayer say you'll get to the bottom of this. I went through much the same..most were wrong. It took years to figure it all out. That is no one's fault. Sometimes it takes awhile to rule things OUT before you can rule the right diagnosis in.

Hugs my dear, Jan
                    I believe in miracles~!

Comment

I have to admit I am nervous because I want to make sure I am not having mini strokes. Funny thing, I lay on my side and my body contorts. why is that?

Comment

When you say your body "contorts" what do you mean
                        exactly?

Jan
                        I believe in miracles~!

Comment

I feel like the left side of my body is a giant funny bone thats been hit. My feet cruel up, my left hand turns into a fist and face tilts up and get stiff. I am unable to talk and sometimes breath.

Comment

I hope things start to improve. All the best.

Comment

going in for a transesphageal echocardiogram l;ater today, they found a hole in my heart and I have thick blood. They are treating it as a TIA yet still giving me tegertol before they knock me out. Scary because tegeertol makes me sleepy.

Comment

Working...
                              X