LP and MRI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LP and MRI

so if I have non-active brian lesions, weakness in my left arm I can't move my left hand 4th and 5th fingers (doing TENS with PT now) and 0 bands in my CSF - does this mean no MS? All other mimics have been cleared as well.

What dose your neuro say?

He is the one who knows your medical history best and is the best person to know if you meet the criteria.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Good question. What does your neurologist say is going on? Get a second opinion. Continue with PT. Make sure you have had the vitamin D deficiency checked. You may need to ask for vitamin D, B-12 and magnesium blood test. PCP's don't always do these tests. You may need to supplement with a B complex. Try the simple things for 30 days and see if anything changes. Good luck

Comment

No, it doesn't mean you don't have MS. It just means you don't have enough evidence to get a solid diagnosis at this point.

LP is a piece of the puzzle, but it's debatable how many people actually show o-bands and how often the test is accurate.

Keep looking for answers - maybe find another neuro for a second opinion.

Do you have a stroke or TIA history?

Comment

I take vit D and do not have any other deficiency in other minerals or vitamins....my neuro has no clue at this point.
          I am only 34 - and so a stroke would show up on MRI.. my grandmother did have strokes and died relatively early in her 60's. But so far no evidence of stroke - the weakness and tightness on my left side is always there but the intensity varies. I think it varies with things like sickness, when I get cold, or excited with stress or happiness...

Comment

Originally posted by javaaddict View Post
            LP is a piece of the puzzle, but it's debatable how many people actually show o-bands and how often the test is accurate.
            It is estimated (NMSS) that 90% of those with MS have o-bands. This is more than likely based on those who have had a LP and have MS. Not everyone with MS has a LP. Per the NMSS, 5 to 10 percent do not have o-bands (diagnosed MS with LP testing)

As far as being accurate. What accuracy are you looking for? The LP is a diagnostic test used to support the diagnosis of MS as well as other conditions.

There is no single test, by it's self, that can give a diagnosis of MS.

I am part of the 90% who has o-bands.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Oh dear, how confusing and upsetting. Sorry for what you are going through. But do you have a MS neuro or a general one?

When I was being monitored for possible MS over a 4 year span, the LP was negative and many ER docs thought my symptoms were more of a TIA. NOT!

The next set of doctors suspected MS once again. Finally got diagnosed and confirmed with 2nd opinion.

Now I am back at the original clinic, (where that MS neuro ruled MS out years ago) and am seeing his partner. She now wants another LP to see if maybe my old lesions are active. Not sure I want a lot of expensive diagnostic tests as copays eat up my little income.

But getting another opinion, may be a good idea for you. Especially want a MS expert if you can.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Warmly, Jan
              I believe in miracles~!
              2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
              Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
                She now wants another LP to see if maybe my old lesions are active.
                Before you do that, ask her how a LP can tell her anything about lesion activity!

As far as I know, exacerbations can only be detected by MRI and/or sx (new, >48 hrs). If she's talking about some other kind of activity, what does she hope/expect to learn and how will it change her recommendations for your treatment?
                1st sx 11/26/09; Copaxone from 12/1/11 to 7/13/18
                NOT ALL SX ARE MS!

Comment

Working...
                X