Fell on the stairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fell on the stairs

Just a small vent here and asking for insights.

Yesterday, I felt "off" all day. I wasn't doing too much, just enjoying my Spring Break.

My balance was a little worrisome but I still was doing some spring cleaning and washing curtains.

I had commented to my kids that I kind of felt like I was on a tetter-totter.

Something went wrong on a trip down the stairs with some curtains in my arms.

I don't really know if I tripped, slipped, or just messed up on the steps.

I managed to grabbed the rail and kind of slid down the stairs with my foot underneath me.

I held on to the armful of curtains too!

My daughter monitored my climb up the steps and into the sectional. I spent the better part of the afternoon and evening reclining and icing areas.

My concern in my major increase in spasticity.

I have had terrible spasms that curl my ankles, feet, all the way up. These are usually controlled well by my ITB pump. I ended up taking additional oral baclofen.

Waiting to see if this is just my body's reaction to the excitement or if something was going on in the first place that contributed to my fall.

My questions is: do you think this could be just a psuedo flare brought on by my fall? How long until I can expect it to calm down.

I just got down with3 days of IVSM last Friday.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Sorry to hear you fell, I hope you get some answers.
    i am new to forum, and am undergoing testing for MS, as I present with every single symptom there is.
    I wanted to mention to you too, that I had a fall early this week, where the right side of my body just gave out, and i fell flat on my face.
    I think I was holding a plate of food, not sure, memory foggy as to what i was carrying, but the fall hurt real bad, and like you , the remainder of day just reclined and iced for comfort.
    I do apologize for not being able to help you with your questions though. i just wanted to share with you, that you are not alone in the falling dept.
    Good Luck to you...
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I have had a few bad falls...one resulted in a skull fracture, the other a spinal fracture. You really have to be careful...consider coming down the stairs with NOTHING in your arms and hold onto the banister.

I have taken to loading things up in a basket at the bottom and top of the stairs, so at least I can carry things up safely in one arm, and hold the banister with the other. My husband says, "let the kid's do the toting, and you do the holding on"....but clearly while his heart is in the right place, he doesn't understand the kids aren't always around when you need them, and sometimes things just have to get done when they need to be done!

Anyway, your fall could have been so much worse....be mindful of what you're doing, and please be careful!!!
      Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

Good advice Debby! I agree it would be difficult to follow through when you need to get things done.

That being said, Naphappy, whenever you experience either dizziness or the feeling of being on a teeter-totter, under no circumstances should you be carrying anything down the stairs.

I'm so sorry you fell, I can imagine how sore you must feel. I've had a few tumbles in stairs and it hurt for weeks.

Your muscles may just be fighting back. A flare would be indicated if symptoms were exacerbated for over 24 hrs but in the case of falling down stairs, your muscles may have been pulled or strained.

If you're worried, call your doctor, he may want to see you or advise you as per your care.

I hope you feel better soon. Let us know how it goes!

Hugs!
        When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Thank you for your replies and advice. I had an appointment already scheduled with the Physical Therapist yesterday morning so I kept it.

She basically reinterated what you have said and what my husband rants at me about.

She worked quite a while to get my SI joint back into place and will work on it again the first of the week. She doesn't think that I did anything major... lots of muscle bruising and now everything is acting up with the spasms.

She told me how to monitor for blood clots and told me to stay off the stairs. If I absolutely need to go down, I am to throw whatever it is down and then hold on with two hands.

I am also supposed to wear my braces all the time now- even in the house.

She did some testing on my feet and said that my reduced sensation and proprioception probably contributed to everything.

I felt like I was in a couseling center instead of a PT department. I have had her since before my dx and she can be very straightforward.

Just too many concessions to take in right now: No night driving until my eyes straighten, braces all the time, no stairs and the doctor who manages my ITB pump wants me to consider an evaluation for handcontrols. One of my principals mentioned to me that I should consider moving to a different classroom with less of a load and distance involved.

I should really shut up and count my blessings. I should be thankful that I have to be told to give these things up instead of complaining.

I am just struggling with my go go go get it done attitude colliding with my reality right now. It is Easter week and I don't even want to think about a big family dinner.

Thanks again for allowing me to vent and for reinforcing what I know are good ideas for me. I just need to get my head around "it" sometimes.

What is good for me is what is best for my family. And if I don't make some concessions then I put myself in danger of not being there for them at all.

Looks like this was another couseling session!

Comment

Working...
          X