Squeezing sensation around throat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squeezing sensation around throat

I've been having a flare these last couple of weeks, and since a few days after it started, I've had this squeezing feeling around my throat. It feels as if someone is wrapping their hands around my throat & choking me. I don't think I've had any real trouble swallowing, although swallowing can be painful & seems to take more effort. (But perhaps I am just more aware because of the senstions I'm having?)

I've also had numbness in my tongue, the roof of my mouth & the back of my throat (only on the left though) that alternates with a painful, prickly feeling that's similar to being stuck with needles (think lidocaine injections before dental work). Has anyone else experienced this?
    RRMS 1/16/13
    Ocrevus 2/19/18

i have had the squeezing sensation... its horrid hope you feel better soon

sorry not much help from me just can empathize

Comment

Sounds like the "hug". Not a very warm and cuddly one though! I usually get mine around my right flank but have recently begun feeling it around my neck. Its terrible.

I do recommend letting your neuro know just to be safe. Sometimes meds can help a little although you will likely hear mixed reviews on that note. My gabapentin helps but it never really goes away. I have also heard good things about muscle relaxers... maybe worth a try especially if you're already suffering in relapse.

Comment

Thanks. I also normally have a one-sided hug around my lower right ribcage, and throughout this flare, I have been having it up higher & all the way around.

I would let my neuro know, but I'm in the process of firing him. I have an appt with my GP tomorrow to get a referral to a different neuro, though, so I'll add it to my list for him.
        RRMS 1/16/13
        Ocrevus 2/19/18

Comment

Dunno' if this is the same thing or not.

Sometimes I look to the side or down and it feels as if my esophagus has "kinked" like the hose in your yard when it gets old. It pinches shut or collapses momentarily. It does create a strangulating sensation along with a momentary feeling like you are going to pass out.

My father has something call esophageal spasms. When he coughs, sneezes or turns his neck just right he chokes momentarily and his face turns very dark. It clears and he comments that "that feels terrible when I do that." as I sit there in horror. But it looks like what I feel so...with MS who knows.

But it "feels terrible when I do that."
          Dave Tampa, FL
          "Journeyman"

Comment

First of all, I am sorry for what you are going through and that you have to "fire" your neuro.

Just wanted to add that feeling like someone "choking me" around the neck was my 1st sign that I was having a cardiac event. Turns out, days later, with continued symptoms I had 95% blockage in main artery in heart!!

Had to have a stent put in and that was after 3 docs did their cardiac tests and ruled out cardiac issues. I just knew my body and knew this was not right.

Not sure if you are having a MSee type sign or not, but make sure they also consider your heart.. just sayin

Let us know what happens..be okay and I'll be thinking of you!

Jan
            I believe in miracles~!
            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Have had many vessel checks.

Was at 75% in one at one time but it seems to fluctuate between 50 and 75. Can't figure that one out. But they do watch me closely as I have had one silent stroke already.

I am anti-coagulated adequately. Plavix, Baby Aspirin and occasional 1,000 mg. Aspiring for spastic pain. So no problem with clots.

Thank you so much for supporting me. That kind of thing and the advice is what keeps me writing as a Ret. RN and an RRMS non-fan.
              Dave, Tampa, FL Bright sun but chilly this AM. (chilly for us here - sorry.) High of 68 today. Brrrr.
              "Journeyman"

Comment

Working...
              X