Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vertigo

Hi all,

I have been on this site for several years, but don't really post very often. I am currently suffering from vertigo. It's been going on for about 4 days now.... originally, I thought I was coming down with something viral maybe, but I haven't gotten sick. Just dizzy. Doesn't seem to stop, but i have been able to keep working (and not let my co-workers know) and all that. The world seems to be spinning around, ever so slightly...sort of like when you watch a merry-go-round pass by. I feel it even when my eyes are closed and when I lay down.

Anyway, it is just killing my attitude. I'm so depressed! I always get this way when something happens that I feel I can't control (MS wise...pain, numbness etc.) I suppose I should call my neuro? Is there anything they can do? Tonight, I took dramamine and it helped the teensy tiniest bit.

I know there are a zillion posts on here about vertigo...I will go and check them out. Just need a little support from my fellow MSers right now. My husband tells me I'm all "doom and gloom" everytime something happens. I've been dealing with MS for more than 10 years now and have been very lucky...but I really do get down when I have symptoms. I will admit that I have been crying on and off for the last 24 hours.

missyb
    You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

Hi Missy,
    I am so sorry you are sad, your post touched my heart. We understand. I have been waking up for the past couple of days in a amost SHOCK that i still feel the way i do!

I have never experienced "true" vertigo, but when i close my eyes it's like i'm on a boat that is docked. I have balance issues( that darn boat!) Dramamine i have heard help some ppl.

Take care.
    Diagnosed 1/15/2013, Avonex 2/8/13, copaxone 3/7/13

Comment

No wonder you feel so crappy with what your husband describes as gloomy doomy...but I bet this can be changed!!

Presently I am going through vestibular therapy for chronic dizzies when I move my eyes. Have had true vertigo (when the floor is moving and room is spinning) for 6 months years ago, so this is not quite as bad.

Learned that Vestibular therapy is evaluated by a trained PT tech. The purpose is to get three systems in alignment and working together. It is not a cure, but may help.

Also there are some meds you can take for vertigo, but what I am more concerned about is your depression. Do you just need to vent and have someone validate the crap you are going through? Or are you disinterested in things, sad, crying, with over or under sleeping, over or under eating? Because that is a separate issue and may be depression which IS treatable!!

So yes, my dear let your neuro know Ask about that vestibular therapy and meds. AND tell them about your depressive symptoms. I cannot wait till you come back on here and let us know things have improved!

In the meantime, vent all you want HERE!! WE understand and will walk this MS misery along side you.

Warmly, Jan
      I believe in miracles~!
      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

See your gp?

Originally posted by missyb View Post
        Hi all,

I have been on this site for several years, but don't really post very often. I am currently suffering from vertigo. It's been going on for about 4 days now.... originally, I thought I was coming down with something viral maybe, but I haven't gotten sick. Just dizzy. Doesn't seem to stop, but i have been able to keep working (and not let my co-workers know) and all that. The world seems to be spinning around, ever so slightly...sort of like when you watch a merry-go-round pass by. I feel it even when my eyes are closed and when I lay down.

Anyway, it is just killing my attitude. I'm so depressed! I always get this way when something happens that I feel I can't control (MS wise...pain, numbness etc.) I suppose I should call my neuro? Is there anything they can do? Tonight, I took dramamine and it helped the teensy tiniest bit.

I know there are a zillion posts on here about vertigo...I will go and check them out. Just need a little support from my fellow MSers right now. My husband tells me I'm all "doom and gloom" everytime something happens. I've been dealing with MS for more than 10 years now and have been very lucky...but I really do get down when I have symptoms. I will admit that I have been crying on and off for the last 24 hours.

missyb
        Sometimes vertigo is due to the inner ear
        Have you seen a gp yet?
        CIS DX 2013

Comment

Call your neuro. You may be having an exacerbation. They may try steroids, or perhaps some valium. I take valium and compazine for chronic dizziness/vertigo due to a brainstem lesion. Call them and let them know what is going on.

Good luck
          Lisa
          Moderation Team
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Missy, I'm sorry. Vertigo sucks. I used to get it when I was going "up" the stairs...I'd have to crawl up the stairs, or scoot up on my bum, one step at a time, gripping the bannister for dear life. It felt so ridiculous, yet when I was going through it, it was scary and miserable. I hope you can get some help and resolve yours soon.
            Crystal

Success is a journey, not a destination

Comment

I can relate to this feeling but I have another question...

Is random motion sickness also related? I have experienced that for almost 3 months and then it went away. Now, 3 months after that bout, and even during that time, I sometimes have random dizziness.

I've been seeing threads lately about where the lesions are located and how they can effect different moods and mobility... So my second question is:

Is it possible for a lesion to be located in a region of the brain that affects mood and therefore have it have an effect on a person's mood?

And onto my third question: do extended exacerbations exist because a new lesion is forming? Like dizziness from motion sickness or vertigo, or from random bouts of foul moods?

Sorry to lump all if this together in this thread... It's just after reading it, I got to thinking.

Thanks everyone!
              Diagnosed 4/10; Copaxone 10/10 - 8/13
              You win some and you lose some, but that is how you learn. -ALB

Comment

LancZen: Good questions. Your question about random motion sickness being related to random dizziness: It can be.

2. Lesions that effect a persons mood: Most lesions that effect mood are located in the bulbar section of the brain stem, or in the frontal lobe of the brain. These lesions can have long term effects on mood just like any other lesion can have long term effects on whatever they are effecting (IE: foot drop).

3. Do extended exacerbations exist because a new lesion is forming?: It could be, especially if there are brand new symptoms associated with it. However, if there are chronic symptoms, or symptoms you have had before, it is more likely that you are having side effects from the lesion itself. Meaning it is not an exacerbation, just a permanent symptom left over from the lesion. It may come and go. Dizziness and vertigo like that may be considered an exacerbation if it is consistent and stays around for 3 weeks to 4 months, but may not correspond with a lit up lesion. They may not treat it with IVSM, or they may. It is an individual case by case decision.

If it sounds wishy washy, it is.

Same thing for foul moods, they probably will not treat these with IVSM, but perhaps antidepressants or mood stabilizers.

Good luck
                Lisa
                Moderation Team
                Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                Tysabri

Comment

thanks

Hi all,
                  Thank you for your responses and all your advice! I have been trying to get back on here for days, but something or other gets in the way...so I'm slow to respond.

I have called my neuro and originally couldn't get in until may 20th, but now they have worked me in on april 23rd. In the meantime, I may try to get in to see my GP. I really can't imagine I have an ear thing going on, but gee, wouldn't that be great? Also, I am seeing a psychiatrist. Just don't think we have gotten the medicine for me just right yet. Have an appointment next week. I am suffering from depression, no doubt. I can't wait to get a good grip on my life back! I work all the time (3rd shift) and sleep all day...been getting so much worse lately. Not much drive to hang in there with the rest of society these days, but I want to get back to normal living! And, I feel sorry for my hubby having to live with me like this. I am difficult when I have a new symptom or an old one pop up. Trying to be thankful for what I do have in life and not the "have nots".
                  Thanks for listening and giving me some direction to go in! You guys are so awesome!
                  hugs,
                  missyb
                  You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

Comment

Hi Missy, i am sorry you are experiencing this vertigo, and depression.
                    The depression i do share with you, i am going through divorce, biggest reason is my failing health, and ex cant live with it anymore, i am too much of a downer to him, and to bot, my daughter 13, has now decided to live with her dad, as she doesn't want a disabled mom.

I do have phych appt on April 9th, and am seeing my daughter's therapist for counseling.
                    The vertigo thing, I am unsure of, i do get very dizzy and nauseated all the time, but I do not know if it would be considered vertigo or not.
                    When i look at the computer screen, the words start moving back and forth, that may mean vertigo.
                    I take Zofran for these episodes though. OTC stuff just makes me feel worse.
                    i do hope you can get some relief yourself, and hang in there...
                    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X