Lab Results for IGG and IGM were Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lab Results for IGG and IGM were Low

Does anyone know about this subject? My neuro had my blood tested for immunoglobulin "quantitative" analysis (if I have phrase this correctly). After getting sick so much during the past fall and winter (and once more after my Mom came to visit and passed along a cold), he wanted to do this test before pursuing the prospect of me going on Gilyena.

I saw the test results on the website for the hospital, but all I know is that two of the three were flagged as low. The IGG was flagged at 601 and the lowest in the standard range is 716. The IGM was flagged at low (36, and the lowest in the standard range was 46, I think). The IGA was within normal range.

When I clicked on "about this test," all it said was that it was a test given for various reasons to evaluate a person's ability to fight off infection via the immune system in the body (ok, loose translation). He hasn't gone over it with me, yet, and now I'm wondering if I will need to take some type of immunoglubulin injection or IV treatment?? I accidentally clicked on the treatments before I clicked on what the test was about.

Has anyone on here ever had low immunoglobulin test results? Does anyone know much about the subject? I realize you can't tell me what my neuro can elaborate more on, but I just wondered if anyone knew anything about the subject.

I also noticed on my last lab results from my pcp's office that my RBC count was flagged as low and so was my HGB(?), if I remember the second one correctly. They never mentioned it to me at all, when I went in for this last cold/sinus infection; it just came up with my printout of my patient history.

Wondering how this will affect decisions about switching to Gilenya...
    Wondering what it means about my immune system, in general...

Thoughts?? Advice??? Anyone???
    -Sherry

Sherry: Your IgG levels are broken into subtypes. So one of your subtypes are low, which makes the total low. The IgM is low but not terribly, same as your IgG. In most cases these will cause sinus infections, lung infections, ear infections.

This may be something you have always had. They generally treat it when it is not horribly low, with antibiotics to treat the infections that may occur. It doesn't look like your numbers are low enough to need IVIG, but I am not a hematologist.

It is important to consider that the concentrations of IgG subclasses vary up or down over time and the normal ranges used in different laboratories also vary. Normal values are usually “defined” as those values between two standard deviations below and above the average for that person’s age. Unfortunately, that may give the impression to some physicians and patients that individuals below the second standard deviation are abnormal when 2.5% of normal individuals fall below this level. The finding of a mild IgG subclass deficiency should prompt re-evaluation over a period of months before calling that person abnormal.

Your hemoglobin and hematocrit may not have been low enough to worry about. If you start getting shortness of breath you should go back to your PCP and tell them about it. If you are not symptomatic it is generally not a problem.

It sounds like your white count was normal, so that is good as far as infections go in that part of your immune system.

As far as how this effects you taking G, I don't know. That part will have to be worked out by your neurologist.

I wish you well!
    Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Lisa,
      Thank you so much for your wonderful input. I did do some "research" online to further see what low levels of IgG and IgB meant. As you mentioned, it didn't look as if mine were as low as I thought (otherwise, I'm pretty sure my neruo's office would have contacted me). I'm still unsure of what it all means. I have had more infections than usual, this past fall/winter. That's why he did the test in the first place.

It's a relief to know they are not as low as I thought (according to the sites I looked at and their standard norms). However, I really want to be able to better fight off infections, in general, and be able to function as best I can for myself and my family. Hoping my meds are not the cause of this lower ability to fight off infection; saw that some medications are sometimes a factor.

I was not on any antibiotics at the time the labwork was done, but I was on so many in the fall that I was sick of taking them. I had just caught another cold when I saw him and he had the labs done. Later, I did go and end up on a strong antibiotic (scary strong!), as well as a prednisone taper (which is almost done). Seems to have done the trick, thankfully.

I just can't go around catching every single thing that comes along, triggering fatigue and other MS symptoms and limiting what I can do with my life. Eager to see my neuro, now, and find out what he thinks is going on.

Thanks, again, Lisa!

Comment

Working...
      X