twitching arms legs etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

twitching arms legs etc

for some time i have had some problems if i do certain hand movemens such as grip a pen for more than a few lines, my thumb and forefinger will lock in a tight painful spasms across my palm- i can release it by massage but it re occurs easily for sometime if i try the same kind of movement- so i have learnt to deal with that

recently though i have had problems with my hadns just doing a quick "flick" is the only way i can describe it - so if i am typing i will suddenly and monumentally lose control of my hands and hit the keys or the mouse. used to happen only very occasionally but now daily and in more noticeable ways- i drop things a lot, about a yr ago i dropped a full cup of boiling water in my lap (i am wheelchair dependent). and very worryingly it now also occurs in my one remaining leg i - i have not had good control of my left leg for some time, when i try to transfer i have to lock it straight when i stand up but now i get this same momentary flick in the muscle control - and it makes me scared i will fall!

its stil more noticeable in my hands and the best way to describe it is like thepower has just been flicked off for a tiny moment but instead of just my fingers its now my hands and sometimes my arms

my neuro wants another MR but as i have severe pain trying to lie down, and i am claustraphobic- he wants to do it under sedation but he needs to work with the pain unit as my pain pump has to be switched off for an MRI- he thinks it may be due to spinal lesions

has anyone had these kind of muscle (not sure if they are tics momentary spasms or what) control problems

twitches

I have the twitches on different parts of body. Not all of the time however and sometimes they are very faint, sometimes it is noticeable. My sister who has Hashimoto's thyroiditis actually has it also and that is also autoimmune disease.

Comment

I also have problems with twitching and sudden spasms. My hubby made me special utensils because this would happen while eating. I had a few episodes where I stabbed the back of my throat with my fork. No fun!

I've since started Baclofen, which controls spasms and I hardly have problems with spasms any more.

You can talk to your doctor and ask if this, or another med, can help you with the spasms and tics.
      When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

I have started having these just this year. They interfere with even my driving. My MS doc told me to up my baclofen. I am already on 120 mg in divided doses throughout the day, but when this starts up, I take another 10 mg and it usually takes care of it. If not, I have also tried Zanaflex when the baclofen doesn't work for me.

Be careful, too much of the anti-spasmotic medications can make the spasms worse.

Ask your neurologist what is best for you.

Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

thank ou for the replies everyone- seems that the common thread is baclofen. i have had these problems for some time but they way very infrequent and never occurred when i was with my neurologist but they seem to be getting more frequent now - not somuch if i am sitting at rest although theystill happen a little but when i yty to do something such as typing this reply itis very difficult- i miss hit so many keys itss not funny!!- baclofen may help the bladder spasms i get better than the probanthine i am on at present- and thanks for the warning about not over doing the antispasmodics- i am a nure so i have seen the negative effects first hand so i know they are meds to respect butif they continue as present it wiwll be a problem as i mainly self care and this makes me drop things all the time, as i mentioned i have already burnt myself badly once and i don't want that again- i certainly don't wabt to mis his the joy stick on my wheelchair either!! th ey have changed many of my meds ecently and i am due to see then soon- i will speak to my doc then

Comment

Working...
          X