Strange query, confession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fishead View Post
    Just re-read this and WOWZA!! I have itching on my chest (right below my breasts) every evening!!! I even went so far as to start wearing different bra's (switch back and forth from regular bras to sports bras). I actually have bumps (not a "bump field" , but enough that I had to really look at them to make sure it was not an allergic reaction. I do take Benadryl on the nights the itching makes me crazy. I think tonight I may try Gabapentin...has anyone taken THIS for the itching?

Has anyone had this SPECIFIC sort of "MS Itch"? Because it shows up every day around the same time, I suspect it is the MS Itch BECAUSE the itching starts the same time as my MS Pain.

INPUT WELCOME, everyone!!!
    Hi fishead,

This intense itch was an early symptom of mine, before I was dx'd. I never had bumps or any visible reason for the itching. Since it's neurological in nature, that is to be expected. Gabapentin is one the medications that may help. Altering the sensation with something cold until it passes can also help. If you see some sort of irritation there, then it's most likely not caused from from MS.

From the NMSS:

Pruritis (itching) may occur as a symptom of MS. It is one of the family of abnormal sensations — such as “pins and needles” and burning, stabbing, or tearing pains — which may be experienced by people with MS. These sensations are known as dysesthesias, and they are neurologic in origin.

Dysesthetic itching may occur suddenly and intensely, but for brief periods. It may be present over any part of the body or face. It is different from the generalized itching that can accompany an allergic reaction, as there is no external skin rash or irritation at the site of itching. Corticosteroid ointments applied to the skin are not helpful in relieving this type of dysesthetic itching. There are, however, several medications that are usually successful in treating dysesthetic itching.

Among them are:

anticonvulsants, such as carbamazepine (Tegretol®), phenytoin (Dilantin®) and gabapentin (Neurontin®)
    antidepressants, such as amitriptyline (Elavil®) and the MAO inhibitors
    the antihistamine hydroxyzine (Atarax®).

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...mptoms/Itching

Here's a few more links about this symptom:

http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms...-Sclerosis.htm
    http://ms.about.com/od/signssymptoms...-Sclerosis.htm

I recommend talking to your doctor about this. I hope you find relief !

Good luck,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Sorry, I should clarify that gabapentin didn't help me, but hopefully it helps others!

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
        Hi fishead,

This intense itch was an early symptom of mine, before I was dx'd. I never had bumps or any visible reason for the itching. ...,

....I recommend talking to your doctor about this. I hope you find relief !

Good luck,
        Kimba,

THANK YOU for your response, it was quite helpful. The gabapentin DID lessen the itching. The bumps still showed up, but I can deal with those, it was the itching driving me insane (whoops that is my baseline ROFL)

Thank you for the links also. It took time for you to post all that and I wanted to let you know how very helpful it was for me!!!

LaTish

PS I like your avatar.....such cute "kitties"
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Not sure if this is relevent to this but..

On my mid upper left side of spine I have an itchy spot that Ive broken skin. Always itches at night. Ive stripped down to nothing thinking it was my bra, shirt, fabric softener, just no connection. I've tried cortizone shots even in it. Now a few years later its become this dark spot, sometimes sharp pains with the itch.. Anyone have this??

Comment

Working...
          X