Strange query, confession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange query, confession

I, Lord spare me, am a bit keen on self-mutilation.

Basically just scratching until I bleed etc. Now I know this is not good, but at least I can FEEL something. It ain't pretty, but
    no more sleeveless dresses for me.

Am I alone in this? Maybe it's a girly thing, or maybe I am in fact going a tad mad.

What I wonder about, Thinkimjob, is if you are posting this to inform us how you get relief from "itching" or it offers you some type of coping mechanism????

So, please know that I am trying to understand and not judge you.. hardly.

Are you saying it gives you some kind of satisfaction? Some relief from...? You refer to this scratching behavior as "self mutliation" and that it helps you "feel" something. Do you mean because you are physically numb or emotionally? Because then it would make sense to me.

Know that I am familiar with folks who "cut" themselves to help cope with emotional pain. It does offer relief, it just is not the healthiest way to cope. And "cutting" does not get to the source of that pain.

Hope you know I am only trying to understand your post..and I bet there are others who also may "cut" or "scratch" too...

For example, I did scratch and scratch last summer in one spot on my leg. The itching drove me nuts! What I didn't understand is how could that little spot be soo itchy and numb at the same time???? Its gone now.

But not sure you mean this as a physical "itching" but rather as a more emotional release perhaps???
    Help me know what you mean. I'll support you in any way I can.

Warmly, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Thinkimjob, I admire you courage and your post. I understand how pain can give a feeling of reality and to disconnect from less immediate problems. Take care of your self please. Dale
      Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
        I, Lord spare me, am a bit keen on self-mutilation.

Basically just scratching until I bleed etc. Now I know this is not good, but at least I can FEEL something. It ain't pretty, but
        no more sleeveless dresses for me.

Am I alone in this? Maybe it's a girly thing, or maybe I am in fact going a tad mad.
        Honestly hun, you really really need to see a therapist. This is something that is prevalent in teen girls. The fact that it is showing up on YOU, may be due to a lesion on your brain, or some sort of "coping" (your mind "going back in time" to when you were a teen)
        Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

Thinkimjob,

Please know I am not judging you either=SERIOUSLY!! I am fortunate I did not have that issue as a teenage girl(Lord knows I had enough issues, just not that one)

Comment

When my daughter was diagnosed with lupus, after having 2 strokes at 15, certain areas of her brain were affected. She started biting herself. She said it made her feel better.

She had another big stroke about 4 years ago, at 26, and started biting herself again. Not she only does it occasionally.

I think it's caused by the brain being affected in some way, although I'm not discounting emotional illnesses, which, by the way, are just as serious.
            When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Hi all,
              I stumbled upon this thread while searching for talk about skirts and dresses, and need to say two things.

1. From age 16 to about 23 I cut myself. Never understood it, but as someone who smoked for a couple of years I can say that the urge to cut myself was like the urge for a cigarette, and it was a feeling of such relief when the cut was made. It had to be a serrated edge. Very, very fond of the serrated metal edges for tearing aluminum foil. Now at age 45, the urges are suddenly coming back. The entire time I cut myself when I was young, I was on birth control pills, and I wonder if there is a hormonal connection? I have exerted self-control and not cut myself since the urges came back, but it's a good thing I don't use much foil.

2. How are things going Thinkimjob? Are you still dealing with this?
              Portia

Comment

I do not scratch as a form of self mutilation, I scratch because I have an itch. There are times that I will scratch until I am bleeding. I have heard from other MS patients that this is fairly "common".
                hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
                volunteer
                MS World
                hunterd@msworld.org
                PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Think

Are you purposely scratching yourself in order to hurt yourself? Or are you scratching because of the "phantom MS itch" that many of us experience
                  from time to time?

You have a great sense of humor, but in this case, I don't know if you are kidding. Please explain so we can help.
                  Katie
                  "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                  "My MS is a Journey for One."
                  Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I don't see her "cutting" herself. Just a bad itch problem with heavy scratching..sometimes causing bleeding.

I too, have noticed more "itching", but no heavy scratching.
                    "self-mutilation" was probably the wrong term to use.

Comment

First of all, I am sorry you are struggling with cutting and can appreciate the "urges" to start up again. Is it related to hormones? Not sure if there is a connection.

What cutting is a sign of "relief" from emotional/mental pain. It is a way of coping. Find out what deep felt issues are there, learn new ways to cope and I bet your urges will subside. This change takes attending to therapy with a trained mental health expert familiar with this way of coping.

It not related to "itching" which does come from MS.

Good luck~I hope you follow up and seek help for this. Cutting can become progressive and difficult to quit as you know It is a compulsive behavior similar to "cravings" for cigarettes as well.

Warmly, Jan
                      I believe in miracles~!
                      2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                      Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

I don't do it, but I get it.

((Hugs))
                        Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Well, that was a blast from the past!
                          You'll be pleased to know I'm no longer scratching great swathes of skin off myself. It was definitely a misguided stress-relief thing.
                          The stress is still there, but I cut my fingernails short. I stroke my arm instead. Same effect, no horrible scars.

Comment

Just re-read this and WOWZA!! I have itching on my chest (right below my breasts) every evening!!! I even went so far as to start wearing different bra's (switch back and forth from regular bras to sports bras). I actually have bumps (not a "bump field" , but enough that I had to really look at them to make sure it was not an allergic reaction. I do take Benadryl on the nights the itching makes me crazy. I think tonight I may try Gabapentin...has anyone taken THIS for the itching?

Has anyone had this SPECIFIC sort of "MS Itch"? Because it shows up every day around the same time, I suspect it is the MS Itch BECAUSE the itching starts the same time as my MS Pain.

INPUT WELCOME, everyone!!!

Comment

My hands itch under the skin in the middle of the night. Running them under cold water provides enough relief so that I can fall asleep. Gabapentin and Lyrica doesn't help -- just super cold water.

Have you tried ice?

Comment

Working...
                              X