MS cognitive and not physical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JAH0513,

You might consider seeing an Occupation Therapist (OT) for help with the cognitive problems.

If you don't start on their drug therapy they suggest they drop you without any hesitation.
    That is not necessarily true. If this has been your experience with a neuro then it's time to find a new one.

I have never used a DMD and my neuro has not even suggested he would not treat me. I have been with the same neuro for 28 years.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

That is me!

I was dx a couple of months ago because of my significant memory issues based on the testing I did. I do not have physical symptoms. I had a consult with my doctor and we talked about copaxone. I asked him what he thought about me starting it and I was fully expecting to hear him say that he would not state his opinion that it was my choice but nope, he flat out said, if I were you, I would start it. So I did. I am still kind of numb because of my dx but after doing a lot of reading, cognition is a main player of M.S. there are a lot of articles substantiating.

Comment

I understand completely. Really I do.

I have been contending with MS for probably 15 years or so (Optic neuritis 13 years ago; clinically diagnosed 2 years ago) and although I do have a LONG list of physical symptoms the majority of my problems are related to cognition, executive function, attention, and memory.

I work out in the yard, ride motorcycles, take walks, exercise, etc. but am really no longer able to enjoy things like reading. I just can't concentrate long enough to do it.

I still work full-time in a profession that demands attention to detail, analytic thought, crazy multi-tasking, and lots and lots of data and spreadsheets. Lately my job performance has been suffering and I was recently even subjected to a negative performance write-up. If my cognitive decline continues I may very well find myself out of a job - - or at least trying to utilize my long-term disability insurance.

Sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your post

I guess I just wanted you to know that you are not alone.
        2011 - DX RRMS
        Taking Betaseron since June 2011

Comment

lesser of 2 evils

I am not sure which is the lesser of the 2 evils if there can be between cognition disability and physical disability. At the age of 48, being told I have significant memory issues is disturbing. I am filing for disability.

Comment

My main sx are cognition & vision, although I do have some physical sx that are mild (but still progressing-worse than they were a year ago).

At this time, my mobility is not affected if I don't overheat or try to do too much.
            DX 10/2008
            Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
            Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
            Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Hello, JAH0513,

You have all my sympathy.

The trouble is the dmds are currently the best (the only) thing doctors have to offer. The fact there is nothing better used to drive me wild, but it's just the way things are at this point in medicine.

I know neurologists can be infuriating. Half of that for me was wanting to shoot the messenger. The other half was feeling pressured to do something I didn't want to do, and being treated like I was stupid.

You can look at diet, vitamins, supplements etc, too.

The dmds don't/ can't target different areas of your brain or spine. They just have a go at slowing all of it down. I'm not convinced they do all that much in terms of progression, either cognitive or physical.

I completely agree with what Mark said about MS being dormant, not benign. I was fine on all counts for 10 years. No more.

Comment

Working...
              X